Algea Outbreak

bio-tech1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey y'all, so how do i get algae growth under control? I have a 10 gallon betta sorority tank. I have an oto but he is not able to keep up. I have 2 terra cotta pots in my tank and they are starting to grow algae. As well as my fake plans are just covered in it. I don't think it is harming anyone but it is aesthetically unpleasing. Is there any animals out there i can get that would help with this problem.
In my 5 gallon with one betta and a few cory's it is covered in algae, like all the surfaces. It just started a couple months ago. these tanks have been up and running for around a year now and they have been pretty much algae free up until about 2 months ago and i had an outbreak. I don't know what caused it or how to fix it. help?

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
First of all 10gallon sorority?! Yikes! Can i see a photo of the algae and tank. Is it near any windows? If its the right algae we can find a snail that will work for you.

bio-tech1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Taylover26 said:
Ghost shrimp and bristlenose plecos might be a couple other options? You could also get a magnetic cleaner for the glass I think? I’m pretty new myself but these are things I’ve read about...
I tried ghost shrimp but my betas just killed them. They will not kill anything else inside the tank except for ghost shrimp. Its weird. And as for the pleco, plecos get absolutely huge full grown. way to big for my 10 gallon. they have some full grown at my LFS and they are bigger than my head, like watermelon size.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bio-tech1 said:
I tried ghost shrimp but my betas just killed them. They will not kill anything else inside the tank except for ghost shrimp. Its weird. And as for the pleco, plecos get absolutely huge full grown. way to big for my 10 gallon. they have some full grown at my LFS and they are bigger than my head, like watermelon size.
Actually they only get to about 6inchs. Common plecos can get to 12 - 24inchs!

camste

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nerite snails are wizards. I bought a couple for my 15 gallon tank when I had an algae problem, and it took just a short time before the tank was spotless.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom