Question Algea ID

Itamarironi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys! I took some plants from a fellow aquarist after his trimming and caltivation, and I insed them in water and then let them sit in H2o2 and water solution for a couple of minutes, before I put them in my tank. Today I noticed they had some algae on them that I haven't had in my tank, and I'm pretty sure I just didn't notice yesterday because how excited I was about getting new plants.

I tried to ID the algae with photos, and I'd like to have a second opinion because I'm not sure which one out of the two options I narrowed it down to it is:

20200127_211058.jpg20200127_211209.jpg20200127_211221.jpg

Also, do you think the h2o2 killed it already? Or is it not a good practice to use this solution?

Thank you for your time! :)

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It looks like hair algae.

There are a lot of ways to control algae besides chemical solutions, which imo should only be used in really bad cases (like green spot, cyanobacteria, the whole tank is completely covered, etc).

Try turning your lights on for less time, like 4-5 hours tops. Make sure the tank is getting regular water changes, all that good stuff--if it doesn't go away you can manually scrape it off, try appropriate algae eaters, or simply leave it, since hair algae doesn't hurt fish.

OP
Itamarironi

Itamarironi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It came with the plants yesterday, and my aquarium is dosed with flourish excel - is it effective against it?

New Threads