Algea growing in canister lines

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by No Fishing, Jun 28, 2016.

1. No Fishing

No Fishing Valued Member Member

I'm wondering if this is normal? I've had the filter for about 2 weeks.[​IMG]

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, it happens to all canisters/tubing at one time or another. You can try using a piece/strip of long cloth and thread it through to wipe it clean and or using a power sprayer to blast out the tube ( after its been removed of course ;) )

3. OP
    OP
    No Fishing

Thanks for the info, does it go away like a bacteria bloom or should I clean the lines every time I clean the mechanical media?

4. Junne

Probably clean it every few months or so and no it doesn't go away but will get to the point ( if left for a long time ) where you won't be able to see through the tubes.

5. clark12

clark12 Valued Member Member

is it necessary?

6. Junne

Well I think for good housekeeping and keeping the fish healthy, they should be cleaned when there is a lot of buildup.

7. g

g25racer Valued Member Member

I get the same thing in all 3 of my canisters. Every few months I use my Marina tube/pipe cleaner and hot water. Highly recommend the marina one. It is very good quality and very long at over 2ft.

8. Junne

OMG! I TOTALLY misread this and thought you said your Marijuana tube/pipe cleaner!!! Time for me to hit the hay! :;laughing:;laughing:;laughing

I was thinking, WHY would he use the same one for his canister? :eek:

9. OP
    OP
    No Fishing

Hahaha classic!

10. g

11. Junne

Wish I had seen this when I had my canister set up - I just pretty much threw in the towel after a year and just didn't have the patience to clean the tubes every so often. Ended up going back to the HOB.
    I still have my canister and tank so maybe one of these days I will set it up again.....
    Looks like a great brush for pretty cheap!

12. g

It truly is an amazing brush! I have cleaned intake tubes on my hobs as well with it. Works like a champ and is holding up very well. They work so well I have a stock pile of them now just in case.

13. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

So there's no way to fight this apart from cleaning the hoses every once in a while?

I cleaned everything less than 2 weeks ago and it's opaque from algae again... I don't want to be dismantling my entire filtration system every 2 weeks, that seems insane, there are too many parts and some of the hoses go through walls or under the floor...

14. g

Get darker colored hoses lol. For real mine are green and I don't notice any algea. I just end up with built up fish waste after a few months. That's what I end up cleaning out

15. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

It's not algae it's same kind organic build up you see in HOBs. There's really not much you can do about other than clean your hoses ever once in a while.

16. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

But it just obstructs the flow so much, and it builds up so quickly, it's insane!

Surely there must be a high grade hose that doesn't get that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice