Algaefix?

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Came back to the store after a week and this is how one of the 55s looks. It had African cichlids and always had green water issues. Last week I did an 80% water change and it looked great but it's back.

I'm trying to prep it for livebearers and plants. Currently it just has two large pieces of limestone and a couple of plastic plants.

Can I just dose Algaefix and then do another big water change?

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

Algae is primarily due to too high or long of light exposure, OR, too high nitrate and phosphate levels that are feeding the algae. You already did a large water change to correct for any possible high phosphate or nitrate. If the water itself is green, nixing the light for a few days should fix it...you could try a polyfilter but....

If you're looking to scrap your current set up (to switch tank types) then you'd probably do okay to use algaefix, it might be the cheapest option too. Though, Algaefix contains copper I believe. So I wouldn't use it if you have snails and/or shrimp in the tank.

I've never personally used algaefix so, I can't tell you what to expect unfortunately.

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

No inverts, just a bunch of guppies.

Never used it either, I've always just planted heavily to avoid algae altogether.

IMG_20180526_085824.jpg

4. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

To me that looks like unicellular. Its just in the water, not on the glass? I've read that that's primarily caused by too much light or natural light hitting the tank. Are your lights on for long periods of time?

Is it like, collecting and growing on the bottom as well? looks a little hairy too. The algaefix should clear it up I would think. Are you only using a sponge filter? If you were using a mechanical filter it'd be easier to clean it up. Well, not easier than buying algae fix. But if you had say, an aquaclear, you could load the filter basket with polyfilters. That would filter the algae and discoloration out. should, anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

The tank is running a sponge and a HOB, but the hob is designed with multiple compartments that disassemble and I wouldn't be able to fit much polyfiber in anyway.

Yeah, the tank was getting 10 hours of LED plus sunlight all day, with a bunch of cichlids. I hate when they don't let me setup their systems because theirs are always algae-ridden messes.

6. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

Ugh, yup. that's the problem, too much light. So this isn't your tank? is this a clients tank? work tank? either way the lighting is going to have to change if they expect any change in the algae. They're going to have to keep the tank light off for at least 16 hrs a day and try to cover the natural light hitting the tank. Otherwise....you might as well keep a dosage of algaefix near the tank at all times.

OH, well, thats good either way too, to have 2 filtration systems on it. Crazy that the algae got that bad with 2 filters. :/. Good luck and I hope everything resolves smoothly.

7. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I'm just going to drain the tank and start over. I have a couple of live plants to add and a few handfuls of duckweed. I'm also setting the timer for 7 hours.

Edit: Yes it is a work tank. They thought setting up aquariums by the front windows was a good idea.

8. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

LOL, in the average, non-fishkeepers mind, I'm sure window tanks are a gorgeous idea. xD.

That should work fine, Where I work, we have a 180 in front of a window, but the window is covered with blinds...Thank goodness they have you around to clear it up. Honestly, I swear if they're willing to leave the light off for awhile it may clear up on it's own. Then again, if you keep the filter media in the filter and clean out all the water, let it filter for a couple days, it should be okay that way too, like brand new.

9. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

They sent bags of fish with me so I had to clean it out, can't leave them in their bags all day considering they were bagged at 7pm yesterday!

They want instant results and it's frustrating at times...

10. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

Man, I'm sorry for that. I hope everything works out okay. I don't know your exact pain, but I've had people swear up and down that their goldfish is happy in it's 10 gallon, people really should consider doing more research about keeping fish before they go setting up a tank. That's all I wish for. lol. We do our best.

11. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Thoughts?

IMG_20180526_140409.jpg

12. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

I like it

13. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

Lol, much better. I hope it stays crystal clear. Or if it gets a little cloudy, that the cloudiness isn't green. x.x.

Great job cleaning it up! Looks brand new.