Algaefix Harmful? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by hollynp, Jun 15, 2018.

  1. hollynp

    hollynp Valued Member Member

    I have been overrun in my tank with algae even on my live anacharis, so I bought a thing of API algaefix to help me get in under control. Dosed it according to label directions a few days ago. That first night a few hours after I dosed it my fish were lethargic and no one wanted to eat. (I had also bought some seachem Purigen and stuck it in the filter, then i read that it was for 100 gal and this is a 20 gal tank so i took it back out. Not sure if that is relevant?). The next day everyone seemed a little better and by yesterday everyone seemed back to normal. Tonight one of my loaches can’t swim and seems to be having seizures, I’m probably going to have to euthanize him as his body is bent weird behind his head and Im so upset watching him suffer. Could the algaefix have caused this?? I forgot to test water parameters tonight but I will in the am. All the other fish seem just fine.
     
  2. CanadianJoeh

    CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

    If your fish were fine before you added something new, there's not a question in my mind that what you added is the problem.

    If it's not broke.... don't fix it.

    For the future, I would reccomend three things.

    First, get a small batch of nerite snails. They cannot reproduce in freshwater, and they will make quick work of your algae.

    Secondly, add a Seapora phosphate removing pad to your filter media. Algae is caused by too many UV rays, as well as uneccesary amounts of phosphate in the water.

    Thirdly, buy yourself a sponge on a stick and get scrubbing!


    The only two products I will ever put in my aquarium are Prime and Stability. (Not including the Flourish line of products which are crucial for plants).
     
  3. AquaticJ

    AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

    Also, Purigen bags are able to be used in tanks UP TO 100, it will definitely not hurt anything. I use it in all of my tanks. It’s not going to fix your algae problem though. Also, if you let it sit out of water for several hours you ruin it. Algaefix is a short term chemical solution, but you need to get to the root of the problem. Simply leaving your tank lights off for several days can often fix it.
     
  4. CanadianJoeh

    CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

    Get a Seapora Phosphate removing pad! Trust me! We use them in our demo tanks at the shop I work at and we have barely any algae at all.
     
  5. AquaticJ

    AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

    We use UV sterilizers at my shop, work like a charm.
     
  6. jdhef

    jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

    I had a betta tank several years ago that had a severe algae problem. I treated with API Algaefix and several days later my betta start dying a slow ugly death. Sometime shortly after that I read somewhere that if you use Algaefix there is a 50% chance it will kill your fish. Icant verify that claim, but I will never use Algaefix again.
     
  7. OP
    OP
    hollynp

    hollynp Valued Member Member

    I have one nerite snail, he cleans the paint right off my decorations lol! Should I add another?

    Where can I get a seapora pad? Do they sell them at like petsmart or do I have to order online?

    I have the sponge on a stick and a scraper lol but even with weekly cleanings when I do my water changes it was taking over my tank, so I tried to help myself which obviously I should not have done!

    I knew it wouldn’t help the algae, I was just hoping to clear up my water some more as since we moved it just won’t get as crystal clear as it would in our old house. Was hoping to help that.

    When I took it out I squeezed it out some and then put it back in the bag, do you think it’s ruined? Can I do the restart thing for it like it says in the instructions and still be able to use it?


    I thought I had read that decreasing the hours of light would help control algae, but it seemed that every time my lights would come on for their 8 hour period the tank was more green and icky looking for a few hours. Husband made me increase the light and it’s looking better so I’m not sure what is going on?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
  8. CanadianJoeh

    CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

    If you scrub it off then I think your best fix will be phosphate pad.

     
     




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice