Algae

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was reading a recent post on algae that talks about blackouts to cure. My question is: I have just started getting algae in both my tanks and can not scrub some of it off with algae scrapers. My next step was going to be using a straight edge razor. Will the blackout allow me to easily scrub algae off when complete...Thanks

aqua man130

Reaction score
im not sure but try to look up some more info ok
np
aqua

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chipster55 said:
I was reading a recent post on algae that talks about blackouts to cure. My question is: I have just started getting algae in both my tanks and can not scrub some of it off with algae scrapers. My next step was going to be using a straight edge razor. Will the blackout allow me to easily scrub algae off when complete...Thanks
yeah, complete blackouts for 2 days will obviously help u to get rid of algaes. bristlenose catfish r good algae eaters they grow up to 5 inches only. u can get one. hey u can add some more fish to your 55 gallon tank it looks empty to me. may be some cories will help they r algae eaters too.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neville said:
chipster55 said:
yeah, complete blackouts for 2 days will obviously help u to get rid of algaes. bristlenose catfish r good algae eaters they grow up to 5 inches only. u can get one. hey u can add some more fish to your 55 gallon tank it looks empty to me. may be some cories will help they r algae eaters too.
hey danios, cories and ottos r schooling fish it is better to keep 6 of them in a tank, danios may become fin nippers if u don't keep at least 6 of them.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for info...My 55 gallon tank is low on fish because I lost half of my fish from Ick, which I got from adding 1 new fish from a reliable LFS. My Q-Tank has fry in it so I didn't Quarantine it...My Mistake...Also the RTS in this tank is almost 5 inches...So he's the centerpiece..

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
blackout will probably help, but it depends on what kind of algae you have. for example, green spot algae will probably be hard to get rid of (dead or alive), it's just hard to scrape off the glass. :/

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
 chipster, your algae could be comming from high nitrates, combined with light more than 10 hours a day.    I would suggest you test your water, if it is fully cycled the ammonia and nitrite should both be 0 and nitrates 5 or above.    If the nitrates are above 20 you are feeding that algae, and water changes would help. I would do a 50% water change every day or so until the readings are between 5 and 10.     If your tanks are where sunlight can hit them, that contributes to algae, or if you keep your lights on over 10 hours a day.    
    That said, it sounds like you could use more algae eaters.   Cories DO NOT eat algae.   They are lovely fish and if you have them for food cleanup on the bottom of the tank they are helpful in that, and will be happier if there are 3 or 5.   The otoes are great algae eaters, they are so good because they can get into small places and on plants where nothing else can clean,  but 2 aren't enough for a 55 gal. tank.  In my tank I have 5 otoes, and a pleco.   I've never had a bristlenose pleco, but have read that they are the greatest in cleaning algae in a tank.  They also don't grow to big, only about 4" instead of 18" like a common pleco.  The pleco's that grow big also contribute  BIG waste to the tank, and you won't be happy with that.  :-\  Just remember that if you have algae eaters in the tank, and it is spotless and no algae then you need to feed those fish algae wafers.  
  You are wise to take your time in restocking your tank,  as soon as your quarantine tank is free, though,  indulge yourself.      We love contributing to the delinquency of other aquaholics!   :

Fish in the Frozen North  8)

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank-you for your help...My water readings have been very good although lately the nitrates have gotten a little high as I have been out of town quite often lately. There is no direct sunlight (no windows in room) and lights are on 8-9 hrs a day. I'll bet the nitrates are the problem as that is when algae started appearing. One more question....After getting nitrates down to 10 will algae die and be easily scrubbed from tank?? Right now I have a blanket over tank but it sounds like that won't help if nitrates are the problem...

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Griffin...That is exactly the type of algae I have...It is real hard to get off...Thanks for reply

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Got one more question..Do you think if I had 5-6 otto's that this algae would have appeared?? Also where do you buy bristle nosed pleco...Never seen them in any fish stores around here (Missouri). I have visited web sites that sell fish but I have reservations about getting fish like that although I have read that many folks have no problems.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
After you kill the algae with a black out treatment, do a 50% water change, vacuum the gravel, and 5 or 6 otoes should keep things in check, IF you get the nitrates down to 5.

I would give it a shot to buy on line, several sites like aquabid have good reputations. I would give it a shot, bristlenose plecos really are suppose to be good algae cleaners.
You may lead a full life that would benefit from having help in the fish tanks. Why should you have to do all the work? These algae eaters are happy to help!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks much....Off to the Aquabid on my journey to find a bristlenose...

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
if you have green spot algae, most algae eaters won't do anything with it. about the only thing that i've found to work on green spot algae is a razor or scraper and some elbow grease. :/

some people have said that green spot algae is related to phosphates. i want to say low, but i don't remember if it was high.

hope that helps

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats what I was afraid of. Once you got it off how did you keep it off..Thanks

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
may i recommend the bristlenose pleco! ;D i wouldnt be without mine!! i bought one, fell in love with him then bought another 2! they are excellent algae cleaners. they have rasping plates in their mouths which gently scrape the algae off. i think the bn has 4 of these (2 at top, 2 at bottom) so is very effective. they are very gentle on leaves of plants too and grow quite fast (in a month mine got from 3-5cm) so you dont have wait long for a hungry algae cleaner!! do make sure they dont starve though,,,they enjoy cucumber and zucchini/corgette and top up their diet with algae wafers (they contain all the nutrients they need to keep them healthy) and also some bogwood (a small piece will do. i got some for £2.50...about the price of a fish....go for one thats light if they sell it by weight like my lfs do and soak it in a bucket first to ensure it doesnt stain. some will leak out tannins which are safe for your fish, but just make the tank look a bit murky). pleco's need this wood to rasp on and eat the lignin from it. they quite like caves or other hiding places, but most tanks have those anyway and they love bubbles, but thats not essential either. mine sleeps on the bubble strip!! (he's a loony :!). by the way, i certainly wouldnt buy a sucking loach....if you want one have mine!!! they are very lazy and dont clean very well at all. (it may just be mine thats lazy? but i wont be buying another!!)
high phosphates can contribute to algae. if you have live plants in your tank they will compete for phosphates and all the other nutrients algae thrive on. the plants will win and take these nutrients away from the algae so the plants thrive rather than the algae! live plants also use up some of the nitrates, so thats an extra bonus!! you need to find ways to control the algae or you'll have alot of hard work!! get the pleco to do the hard work!!! they enjoy it!! doubt you will!! also i heard somewhere an old credit card is good at getting algae off without scratching the glass (i use credit cards to get ice of the car and that works well without scratching glass so it makes sense!). just one more thing....over feeding can cause algae (back to the surplus nutrients again!). shrimps and cories will eat any leftover food, or just be really careful when feeding (enough for them to eat in 2-3 mins about twice a day should be ample)
hope this helps :-\. any questions let us know!!
good luck
tan

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
luckily, i've never really had a huge problem with that kind of algae. i'd only get a spot or two once in a while, so i would just clean it during a water change.

if you're getting a lot, even after removal, i'd check phosphate levels, and then up them a bit if necessary? do you know what your phosphate and nitrate levels are?

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the help....I have made contact with someone on aquabid and will have 3 bristlenose's on the way tomorrow....My algae isn't to bad yet but I just need to control it before it becomes a problem....I'll try the credit card trick with what is there...Thanks again

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No prob!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All good advice! Gee you guys are getting good at this! The only thing I have to add is to keep up those water changes they will help keep the extra nutrients that algae thrives on down to a minimum. If you have plants a Nitrate level of 20 is ok as the plants will soak it up. If you don't may I recommend you get some. Keep up the good work!
Carol

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My last question...Can you keep 2 bristlenoses in a 75 gallon tank...I am ordering 3 of them soon..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom