Algae? 10 Gallon Tank 

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank is starting to grow what I believe is algae. It might be the algae causing the smell. I am going to get TSS today, what is a good algae eater that I could put in the tank today?

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't add any more fish to your tank until it's cycled. It just poses undue stress on them. Worry about your algae later.

How often do you do water changes?

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't do water changes because I was advised by many people not to.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, you haven't done any water changes since you started this tank up?

What are your readings?

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

You received some bad advice. We will help you get your tank straightened out though I don't know if they were thinking your plants would suck up the nitrates and ammonia or what but you need to be doing regular water changes. I do mine once each week.

Do you have a gravel washer? I would do a partial water change of around 50%. Make sure you use a conditioner to remove chlorine from the water you put back in the tank.

An Oto might be a good choice for a ten gallon but not for a while until your tank is cycled and more established. Cories don't eat algae and like to be in schools. If you try to add several Cories to a 10 gallon you will end up way overstocked.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent advice above. Definitley start doing daily water changes seeing as you are cycling the tank with fish in it. Have a read up on the nitrogen cycle & if you can afford it, invest in an API master test kit so that you can monitor your water quality. Good advice from Sue about the Otos & Cories as well. Cories don't eat algae, well not much anyway & Otos need a well established tank to go into. There's no point in adding anymore fish at the moment & it's important that you realise that every aquarium will have a certain amount of algae in it no matter what you do. Worry about getting the tank cycled first & then worry about algae later. It will still be there & it won't be any harder to get rid of or at least control.

The most important thing you can do is stop listening to whatever drongo told you not to do any water changes. They have no idea what they are doing & if you follow their advice, disaster & dissapointment will surely follow.

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay thanks I will change the water tonight, and I do have an API master kit.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very good. I would start with 50% water changes daily & monitor your test results closely. They will indicate when the tank has cycled & then you can start worrying about more fish & the algae. How long do you have your lights on for? Thre's no benefit in having them on for more than 12hrs a day in a planted tank & it can actually be beneficial to split the light on period into two halve. So that the lights come on for 4-6hrs, then off for 2-4hrs then back on again for 4-6hrs then off for the night. That won't effect plant growth or fish health but it can help prevent or control algae problems.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Uh... drongo? Sorry I just had to ask lol

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did a 50% water change. Thanks

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
suemvb said:
Uh... drongo? Sorry I just had to ask lol
The politest way I can translate that is drongo = idiot.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
redsoxfan320 said:
I did a 50% water change. Thanks
What were your readings?

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
pH - 7.2
Nitrate - 40/ppm
Nitrite - 5.0

I still have a while to go, I think.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah you do but keep up the water changes and your fish will be ok. Do you know what your ammonia results are? Ammonia is the most dangerous to your fish.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are you using an ammonia detoxifier like Prime or Amquel+? They will protect your fish between water changes

How planted is your tank? Nitrates of 40 seem really high to me for a planted tank, even without water changes.

But to answer your original question, and once everything is cycled, nerite snails are the way to go. Two demolished the diatoms in my 5 gallon in a few days. They even managed to clean the algae off the zeolite *inside* the plastic cartridges of the Small World filters I use. How they did that I don't know but both look brand new.

-Lisa

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I only have 3 plants. Also I am using Cycle.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
redsoxfan320 said:
pH - 7.2
Nitrate - 40/ppm
Nitrite - 5.0

I still have a while to go, I think.
The important thing is that you're now doing the right thing for your fish.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, to make sure it's actually algae and not diatoms, can you describe it? The color, the physical trait (hair like, fuzzy, ect).

Also, describe the smell. Does it smell like fresh black dirt you would find in a garden?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Water/Algae section of the forum.
Thanks!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads