Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ayelie, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ayelie

ayelie Well Known Member Member

Ok my tank is at the end of the cycle I think, I've been doing daily water changes. Now I have a spot or two of algae and I've been really careful with the light.

My question is : Does the algae mean I am really at the end of the cycle.

My pet store is out of API testing kits. They hope to have them in tomorrow or the first of the week.

thanks guys.

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Algae isn't a sign of the end of the cycle.
    If it's green, try decreasing the amount of time the light is on.

3. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

The only way to truly know if the tank is completely cycled is by monitoring the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. When you say that the pet store is out of testing kits, do you mean the ones that they use or the ones for sale? Many pet stores will test the water for you so try bringing them a water sample and ask them to test it.

4. OP
    OP
    ayelie

They are out of both right now. I have called around and a lot of the stores are out of the API master kits.

I found one that will test water.

My normal pet store only uses the strips and they say the water is fine, but I don't believe it. I am changing the store where I go all the time.

I knew next to nothing when I set up this tank and the guys at the store that sold it to and the fish knew less than I did. But I didn't learn that until I had lost all of my fish and was ready to toss the tank in the trash.

Then I found this site and you guys and I think I am back on track now thanks to all of you and a whole lot reading.

I will be needing a bigger tank in a while and I hope you guy will be around to help with that, because I know I will need it.

Again Thanks so much to all of you.

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If it is brown, it could be diatoms, which is perfectly normal in a newer tank

6. OP
    OP
    ayelie

yup it's dark brown. Is that good or bad.

I've been doing 50% changes and it's below the water line during the changes.

Should I clean them off or leave them???

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Here's a great link about different kinds of algae.

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the More Freshwater Aquarium Topics/ Aquarium Water/Algae section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice