Algae

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Kamie427, Mar 28, 2010.

1. K

Kamie427 Valued Member Member

From the picture I look at, it seems as if everyone lets the algae build up on the back wall of their tanks. That was the case on mine, but i just scraped it off with a razor the other day because it was bugging me. Should I let it build up on the back wall? I guess comparing pictures my tank looks so new again now that I cleaned the back side of the tank.

2. s

smileyfish Valued Member Member

im pretty sure it doesnt have any effect biologically or anything, it's a matter of preference. I like it because the behind the tank is all the equipment so less you see of that better. But it does make the tank look newer/nicer in my opinion without it.

3. N

Naeusu Valued Member Member

i let the algae build up because i have a few grazers in my tank and it gives them something to eat. I also notice that when i kept the glass scraped it would grow diatoms really badly but then the green algae started growing and ran off the diatoms...i'm hoping eventually corraline will overgrow it.

4. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

On the glass, I'm just too lazy to scrape it. On the overflow on my island tank I let it grow because the overflow is semi transparent glass. On my 120, I don't want coraline on the back :).

Its more of a prefernce. It could thoug, take away calcium if you have tons of it. Meaning all the sides, back, and front is covered. (completely). I've seen a tank like that at a LFS. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice