Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mhagwood, Jul 12, 2015.

1. m

mhagwood Valued Member Member

Hi. Over the last few weeks I've noticed my tank water has had a green tint. I'm pretty sure it algae because you can see it on the sides where the snail eats it and some is on the rocks. I clean my tank every other week and the next day it's hot that tint again. Is there a way to stop or get rid of it? Should I try to completely get rid of it? My tank don't sit in direct light and the temp is about 77 degrees. I have 4 guppies and a snail.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

How big is your tank? What kind of light are you running and for how many hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Here is a link to a thread I put together that covers most algae problems. Be sure to read the links as well to help identify what you have. It sounds like you may have green water, which is free floating algae in the water, or maybe you have green dust algae on the walls of the tank. Hard to know without being there.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/algae/188662-algae-problems-how-deal-them.html

4. OP
    OP
    m

mhagwood Valued Member Member

My tank is only 10 gallon and I use the light that came with it so I'm not real sure what it is. It runs about 8 hrs. From reading the link I think I'm running it to long. I might keep it off for a few days and do the small water changes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Yeah those little starter hood lights build it up quick, imo
    and 8 hours is alot for that sized tank.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

8 hours is ok if you have a heavily planted tank but otherwise, you're just opening the door for an algae invasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice