algae?

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

hey guys,

i'm seeing some green stuff developing on the artificial seashell decorations in my tank, which i can only assume is algae. i mean, what else could it be?

when i do my weekly tank maintenance, should i take the ornaments out and scrub them to remove the algae...?

i've read that there are some fish that consume the algae, but my tank is not ready to add more fish yet.

tank specs - fish in cycling with two danios, not yet complete the cycle.

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yes, just take the decorations out and give them a good scrub. When you're tank is cycled you can add some Otocinclus or Siamese algae eaters which are good for getting rid of algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Do Not Get Simese algae eaters to deal with algae they get big and aggressive and will suck a hole in any fish you put in there.

All new tanks will get algae usually Diatoms as things settle it is normal do not freak ok. The best and only way you should get rid of algae in your tank is good old elbow grease.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Just scrub it off when you do your maintenance, I agree don't get a fish just to do a job

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

How long do you leave the lights on?

6. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Unless you have live plants, there is really no need for a light except for you to see the tank better. Ambient light is fine. If algae is growing faster than you like, reduce the amount of time the light is on.

7. neonblue1980 Member Member

i've been keeping the lights on for about 8 hours a day but i'm going to cut that back. i thought i had to leave them on as a benefit to the fish for some reason...lol...god, i have a lot to learn! no idea why i thought that. i noticed today that there's actually quite a bit of algae starting to grow in there. i'm going to keep the lights off more, especially when we aren't home. no point in having them on when no one is here to enjoy them. i'm definitely going to put in my best effort at cleaning it properly today.

8. neonblue1980 Member Member

i'm seeing a bit of brown algae on the glass, which i'm reading could be diatoms.

there is bright, bright green coloured algae on my artificial seashells and other decor surfaces. not an icky dark green...it's vibrant and actually quite...pretty. lol. i'm just worried that algae can harm the fish?

9. smee82 Well Known Member Member

diatoms are common and should go away on there own after a while. They also better with less light then more. In general i believe algae cant harm fish but the effects of too much algae can but ive seen reports of algae growing on and eventually killing fish.