Algae Question

1. stiglitz Well Known Member Member

I've noticed that my fish tank has been getting algae on the walls and the silicone corners, and i've bought a magnet algae cleaner. However I'm a bit hesitant to use it. Now i know this sounds pretty stupid, but if i scrub the algae off will the floating algae residue harm my fish or affect my tank water at all?

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Green algae or brown (diatoms)?

Usually you scrub it off before a water change. And no it won't harm your fish.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've found many fish will eat it after it's been scraped, but in the case of the magnet it obliterates the algae so the wouldn't happen. If you do it and don't do a water change, it will just collect in the filter and break down, like anything else.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Yep, agree with the above.

Just be a little cautious/gentle around the silicone. you don't want to inadvertently rupture the seals of your tank ;)

5. stiglitz Well Known Member Member

thanks everyone! yeah, the instructions said not to use it on the silicone, so im just gonna use a little elbow grease and use a sponge for that.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Cleaning and Maintenance to Aquarium Water/Algae section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken