Algae - What To Do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ivyninja, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ivyninja

ivyninjaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Currently doing a fishless cycle with some live plants (just frogbit and Anubias at the moment). Normally have lights on 8 hours a day (split into two periods). I broke my timer earlier in the week so the lights were on slightly longer for a couple of days while I wasn’t home to turn them off in time.

Got a new timer today but also noticed algae has started growing on the walls of my tank and on the driftwood.

Do I need to do anything beside cleaning it off? Should I cut the amount of time the lights are on for a while?

2. abbytherookiehuman

abbytherookiehumanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    Maybe cut the time but not by long! Your plants still need light to photosynthesise. How big is your tank?
    Can you add a photo?
    Maybe just cut it down to 7 hours or put the light on a lower setting if you can
    Good luck

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If the only reason algae is growing is because of longer lighting due to the broken timer and there weren't any issues beforehand, I'd think that just cleaning out the algae and getting back on schedule would be enough. You might struggle for a bit until then, I don't know. If it were me, I'd just go back to what it was at previously and try to stabilize it.