Algae wafers Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Jrobber, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I have a Bristlenose Pleco that I feed an algae wafer to every other day. Is that too much feeding?

The reason I ask is my other fish seem like the algae wafers too and they eat it up with my Pleco. Now, on the days I don't feed an algae wafer, my two Mollies and Swordtail look around the bottom of the tank when I drop flakes in.

So am I feeding the Pleco too often, or are my fish just spoiled?

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Jrobber,

In addition to the algae wafer try feeding your Pleco some sliced, fresh zucchini. Just rinse it off, slice it (I use round slices about 1 inch thick. Weight it down (I use old plant weights) and let it sink to the bottom. You're Pleco will love it.

I feed mine zucchini every day. He's in the same spot every morning waiting for it. If I happen to run out of zucchini then I drop a few algae wafers in for him. Sometimes he gets one, sometimes he doesn't because of my other fish nabbing them first.

Too answer your question, no, you are not feeding him too often. I would like to read that you are feeding him every day :) Yes, your other fish are spoiled and are probably looking for the wafer at feeding time. lol

Ken

3. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I haven't fed my Pleco any zucchini yet, but I will from now on. Thanks aquarist!

4. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Glad to help. Keep us posted.

Ken

5. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Another question aquarist, should I drop two wafers in the tank since my other fish seem to eat it too?

6. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello JRobber,

You can try adding two wafers instead of just one. You could even try dropping one in at one end of the tank and the other wafer at the other end of the tank. Try not to let the wafers make a splash. The splash seems to be a dead give away that more food has been added. I feed my fish and I try to sneak the wafers in :) lol

Have fun!
    Ken

7. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I watched last night when I added the algae wafer in, the three fish found it first and began munching on it, but then out of no where came the Pleco and scared off the three and started munching! Maybe I'll try adding two next time.

Thanks

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

He still needs some fresh veggies too :)
    Carol

9. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I'm going to grab some zucchini at the store tomorrow and try that out. How long should I leave it in the tank before I remove it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice