Algae Wafers Growing White Fuzz

Sheyenne

Reaction score
HI there! I've been searching the Internet trying to find some answers but it seems like things never got answers. So I got a betta over a month ago and he has a 2.5 gallon tank that he really loves. I know it's a little small but I clean it twice a week and he seems super happy to go into the other area well I'm cleaning the tank. He never seems stressed and he always putting on a show in the water-plus (and I'm probably just crazy) I feel like he can hear me and maybe understands? Like I say his name in the morning and he always comes out and just gets super happy. Anyway, I got three little hornel snails to company him in the cage, they said to put one algae wafer in a week. That was fine at first but recently the last three times they've spored. They look like fuzzy white stuff growing out from it, and the first time it happened there was about four clusters(the pellet was in the back and I didn't see it until cleaning day. So it still grew really fast.) this is my first fish that wasn't a family fish. However we probably had hundreds of fish growing up and I've follow the way my mom raised fish pretty much to a T. Until I got the snails I had no problems. After the second time I broke the wafer into pieces and used maybe 1/3, maybe less a little less than 1/2 tbh. But it still did that. I'm wondering if my snails aren't eating so it's molding? But how are they alive if they aren't eating that? We had snails when I was a kid but they were just random like river snails and tbh we never fed them. We just had a lot of fish that pooped and that kept them fed lol. And they flourished. We had new snails all the time. Anyways, thank you for any help.

Executionernerner

Reaction score
Sheyenne said:
HI there! I've been searching the Internet trying to find some answers but it seems like things never got answers. So I got a betta over a month ago and he has a 2.5 gallon tank that he really loves. I know it's a little small but I clean it twice a week and he seems super happy to go into the other area well I'm cleaning the tank. He never seems stressed and he always putting on a show in the water-plus (and I'm probably just crazy) I feel like he can hear me and maybe understands? Like I say his name in the morning and he always comes out and just gets super happy. Anyway, I got three little hornel snails to company him in the cage, they said to put one algae wafer in a week. That was fine at first but recently the last three times they've spored. They look like fuzzy white stuff growing out from it, and the first time it happened there was about four clusters(the pellet was in the back and I didn't see it until cleaning day. So it still grew really fast.) this is my first fish that wasn't a family fish. However we probably had hundreds of fish growing up and I've follow the way my mom raised fish pretty much to a T. Until I got the snails I had no problems. After the second time I broke the wafer into pieces and used maybe 1/3, maybe less a little less than 1/2 tbh. But it still did that. I'm wondering if my snails aren't eating so it's molding? But how are they alive if they aren't eating that? We had snails when I was a kid but they were just random like river snails and tbh we never fed them. We just had a lot of fish that pooped and that kept them fed lol. And they flourished. We had new snails all the time. Anyways, thank you for any help.
It's mold/fungus. You shouldn't be feeding them algae wafers anyway

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore.

You'll want to remove any uneaten algae wafers before they break down in the tank. They'll pollute the water and grow mold, the same as leftover fish food would if you left it on the bottom of the tank.

A turkey baster is good to suck them out between water changes if they're too soft to be pulled out with aquarium tweezers. (A turkey baster new for and dedicated to the aquarium though - not one from the kitchen.)

How long they'll last depends on the brand. In my experience, HikarI Algae Wafers degrade quickly so I try to pull them out before they get mushy. Cobalt Algae Grazers seem to last longer.

JustinCG

Reaction score
I have left mine in my tank and after a while the white fuzzy goes away then my shrimp eats them

New Threads