Help Algae Wafer Feeding Guide For Otocinclus

AniketRane

Reaction score
Hi,
I have 2 otocinclus and 1 betta in my 10 gallons sparsely planted aquarium. The otos have been constantly munching on the algae and I have also been feeding them blanched cucumbers.
Recently just to try something new, I have got HikarI algae wafers. I read online that otos sometimes eat algae wafers and I have also read that keeping algae wafers for too long in the aquarium may produce ammonia spike. I have a couple of questions.

1) For how long shall the wafer should be kept in the tank before removal in order to avoid ammonia spike?
2) How much portion of the wafer shall I put i.e. how much will be enough for 2 otos?
3) How frequently shall I keep adding the algae wafers in a week?
4) Should I prefer algae wafers over blanched veggies or should algae and veggies be primary and algae wafers secondary in terms of feeding?

This may sound like silly questions but I want to get expand my knowledge regarding the otos as I have heard that only a handful of otos survive the very first month.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI welcome to FishLore!!

I think you'll find this sticky very helpful:
Caresheet for otos

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For Otto cats I would only break a tiny amount off of one wafer to see if they go for it cause they may not even touch it. Another better veg is zucchinI that you could try. I would only leave it in for a max 24 hours. Also if you see your betta goin for it I would remove it cause it may be a glutton and keep eating it and end up bloated

OP
AniketRane

AniketRane

Reaction score
Hi, I have two otocinclus along with a betta fish in my 10 gallons sparsely planted tank.
When I had fist got my otos my tank was full of algae so they were always grazing and pooping. Recently as the algae has declined I have started other methods of feeding them. I have tried blanched cucumbers and algae wafers. They love to munch on the cucumbers but tend to ignore the algae wafers for unknown reasons. I have tried hikarI algae wafers.

From past 1 or 2 days, occording to my observations, their food intake has became low and I am worried about it. I was thinking of putting them in a separate container and giving them only algae wafers so as to make them familiar with it. I think they haven't tasted it so they are ignoring it and I have tried feeding them with algae wafers only 3 times. Will it be okay doing so? Please suggest me or let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would keep them in the 10 gallon where they still have some algae to munch on. If they eat cucumber also feed those to them. In a separate container they won't have any algae to graze on. If your tank needs a little more algae make your lighting period a little longer. You can keep trying the algae wafers they may learn that it is food.

New Threads