Algae Wafer and Vegetables

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Wintersprite, Aug 2, 2015.

1. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Hey guys and gals, I will be getting 6 Otos this thursday and was wondering what type or brand of algea wafers I should pick up as well. I was checking out the omega one veggie rounds at petco however I do not know if those will work or not. I was also planning on providing them with zucchini or cucumber slices and was wondering how you prepare them. Do you just put the slices in a cup of water and microwave them for 30 seconds or so? Then my last question is how long do you leave the slices in the tank before removing them. Thanks again for all your guys help and suggestions. This site has really helped me out in becoming a better fish caretaker.

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The omega one veggie rounds are possibly the best algae wafers you could feed them if no algae is present. But I believe your tank is pretty new right? The diatoms should be more than a buffet's worth of food for the otos though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

You can feed frozen vegetables. Just thaw in water and feed by anchoring on a bamboo skewers. I rarely have to remove food. Start with a single slice or chunk and gauge your food needs by how much they eat over 24 hours.

4. OP
    OP
    W

WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Yes my tank is a little over 2 months now. I thought the omega one veggie rounds were good I just was not sure if the otos would eat those ones or not. I was thinking of picking those up when I get the otos to have on hand just in case the algae doesn't build up fast enough once they clean the first round of diatoms. Also was thinking the rounds would be good to have on hand just in case the otos decide to not like fresh zucchini or cucumbers.

OK so if they don't eat it after 24 hours remove it and try again right? I mean not sure how long it takes to try and get them to notice the veggies .

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You'll be fighting diatoms for at least a good two months. I wipe mine down everyday yet theres more than I can clean that my Siamese Algae Eaters take care of. Even then, there's still some left over... so I wouldnt worry about it. Your oto's will notice the veggie rounds soon enough. My kribs go crazy for them whenever I drop them.

6. OP
    OP
    W

Ok thank you for the help Dom. I think I will wait on the veggies rounds then for a bit and see if they maybe go on sale before I actually need them. Plus this will also give me some time to try out slices of zucchini and cucumbers since the garden is going crazy with them right now. When I do eventually get the veggie rounds should I feed the otos half of a round every other day or should I feed a whole one every other day? The plan is to get 6 otos.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Should be half a round every day I think. I fed my SAEs one round a day when they were young. Now I just let them feed on algae so they don't get too spoiled. I have more than enough algae for them to eat lol.

8. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

From my personal experience, Otos will not touch any form of prepared dried or frozen foods (worms and shrimp etc). They will only eat algae and fresh veggies for me. They will take out a 6 inch long quartered slice of cucumber or zucchini in about 2 days, rind and all lol!

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I've fed my otos some algae wafers in the past and they ate them. You just have to make them hungry enough. But I generally like to keep them on a diet of algae so they don't get used to the taste of any dry food.

10. OP
    OP
    W

Ya I am thinking that I will just let them feed on the algae in my tank for now and maybe throw in a slice of zucchini or cumber a couple times a week. Got to love having a garden that is producing lots of veggies right now. Now I just have to hope that Petco still has some otos in on thursday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice