Algae Under Hob Output. 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pukuotas, Apr 12, 2018.

1. pukuotas

pukuotas New Member Member

Hi. After rescaping my tank, got some algae outbreak. Seems like Staghorn Algae and/or Black brush.
    As I understand that kind of algae prefers "dirty" water.
    What is interesting that the problematic area (basically isolated in that area) is under HOB filter output. Theoretically place in tank, that should be the cleanest and with biggest flow.

Question: can I make conclusion that my filter output is not filtered as it suppose to be filtered?

Filter flow is more than enough. Filter max nominal flow ~210 gallons/h in 10 gallons tank. Filter media sponge-> peat -> ceramic rings -> top live plants. Theoretically maybe I messed up by adding filter media, because I had to cut original sponge, to add other media.

2. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

I have noticed a common mistake is made by adding to a HOB when the flow is not configured correctly. Most HOB filters flow from front to back, very few (aka aquaclear) flow from bottom to top or top to bottom. If you have stuffed your media from top to bottom or versa, then the water is just skimming over the top of the media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice