Algae... Ugh.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all, I think this is where this thread should go...

Anyway, I'm having a small algae problem in my 29 gallon tank. I have a DIY C02 system that I think is working... It's bubbling at least. The recipe I used was: 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast, 1/4 tsp baking soda and tepid water. It is hooked up to my smaller power filter, a Hagen Elite Hush 10. I can hear the bubbles being broken up by the impeller. It stays on 24/7.

My lighting is: Coralife Aqualight Dual bulb hood, 1 31W 6700K bulb, 1 31W 10000K bulb.

Anyway, this is the description of the problem algae:
It grows in dark green, bushy kind of growths on the leaves of my plants, covering the leaves completely (I brush it off with my fingers), and on the tank glass there are long wispy hair like growths all over. There is also a little forming on the substrate and rocks too.

I am planning on getting some Flourish Comprehensive, and using that. Will this help at all? The setup has only been running for a week and a half.

Any help is appreciated

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long each day is you light on and does you tank get any sunlight?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tank gets no sunlight, it's in a basement. I just realized that the amount of time we leave the lights on could be the problem. In fact, I'm almost sure of it. They are on sometimes up to 14 hours.

To solve this and see if it is the problem, I will look into getting a timer and have them on for 10 hours and see if this helps at all.

Thanks for pointing that out!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cool

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Less time will help for sure.
Ferts will also help....it sounds like you have beard algae which is generally brought on by unstable Co2 Levels and LOW nitrates.

Here is a good link to identify the type of algae as well as tell you its main causes. (Though I think keeping your light regulated to 8-10 hours a day should do the trick.)
http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it was hair algae!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads