Algae Trouble & Water Changes Not Sure What To Do

1. Kyle7 Initiate Member

My main question is how many water changes can I do without affecting the healthy bacteria?

I recently had an algae bloom in my fish tank and went to petco for information on how to get rid of it and they gave me AlgaeGone by Topfin. After buying it I began treatments didn't notice any changes till I came home on friday and found a dead red tailed shark and a dead platy and found a slimy white filament covering a good portion of my tank. I immediately siphoned out as much as I could but ended up doing almost a 40% water change because of the amount of water I siphoned. My other fish seemed to be doing ok until today when I found another dead platy and noticed some others nipping the white fliamnets. I wan't to siphon more out but don't want to mess up the cycle of the tank. Not sure what to do and I don't really trust petco. Any tips? I have a 38 gallon tank currently 5 platys 3 red paradise gouramis 2 rose-barbs and a rainbow shark and 2.5x filtration.

2. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Since bacteria is housed in your filter media, water changes won't affect them. Those algae treatments should really be a last resort, algae isn't super hard to get rid of with other methods and I've heard those treatments can kill fish. What algae did you have?

3. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

No more than 100% an hour* or you'll start starving the bacteria of ammonia and nitrites.

*As if it matters at that point...And I made that number up, you realistically can't change too much water assuming your replacement water is good quality.

4. Kyle7 Initiate Member

Nit sure what type of algae it is. Just a dark green.

5. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Can you post a picture? Or did the treatment get rid of it?

6. Kyle7 Initiate Member

Here is a picture of what the treatments have left in the tank. I can't really get a picture of the algae with my phone. When you look from a distance or turn the light off you can see the dark green tint.

Attached Files:

7. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Pic isn't working for me, did you use "upload a file" below the "post reply" button? :( I find that the easiest way to post a pic

8. Kyle7 Initiate Member

I did. I tried it again. Hopefully it fixed the problem

9. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Yup, they work! Are they easily removed or are they quite stuck to the decorations?

10. Kyle7 Initiate Member

They are stuck on pretty well. When I removed some it was very slimy and hard to get out of the filter of the siphoner and net I used.

11. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

If you have flourish excel you can take affected decor out of the tank and brush the excel on, rinse, and replace. Hydrogen peroxide can also work. How long are you lights on for?

12. Kyle7 Initiate Member

I usually turn them on from 8pm-8am. I plan on buying a timer so that the lights are only on for 8-9 hrs. Can you get flourish excel at pet shops?

13. wyldkingdom Initiate Member

Ok now you've confused me. I change my water once a week and I do about 1\3 to 1\2 water change. Are you saying that you can do water changes more often?

14. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Hmm I haven't really seen many seachem products at my local petco and petsmart, if you can find a LFS that'll be your best bet.

You could do 100% water changes everyday if you wanted, it just wouldn't be too good for the fish.

15. wyldkingdom Initiate Member

Lol! Ok don't think I would do that! Poor fish flapping around on the gravel. I guess what I was asking was if you did a "partial" water change, say once a day, it wouldn't deplete the good bacteria in the tank?

16. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

No, bacteria live on filter media and solid surfaces in the tank, not in the water.

17. wyldkingdom Initiate Member

Got it! Thanks. So I just have to be careful when I clean my canister filter.

18. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

100% a day would be great for the fish if you're replacing it with good water. water changes are never bad. It's changing water conditions that is bad.