Algae Stuck In Gill

1. Rikkan

Rikkan Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 200 litre tank with just 7 small sterbai corys in there at the moment.
    PH - 8
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrate - 10

They have been in there for about a month living happily with no problems. I noticed this morning one of my little guys has algae stuck from his gill. I am 99% sure that this is algae because it looks the same colour etc. I have been having a blue green and green hair algae problem that I have been to trying to defeat. It is nearly gone but still lingering.

It looks like BGA clinging on from in his gill and he cant seem to shake it at the moment. I heard BGA can be dangerous for fish so I am little worried that some is attached itself to him. Will this work its way free? Will he be safe in the meantime? He is behaving normally and is very active and seems happy, he is eating fine too. I heard about people having to get things out of gills with tweezers but I would rather avoid that if possible!

I just wanted to check if I am over reacting by worrying about this? Should I wait it out and see if its still there tomorrow?

Thanks all for your time :)

update - for anyone stumbling across this in the future and your worried about it, feeding them bloodworms just did the trick.

I remembered them eating bloodworms in the past and they suck them back through the gills. Didnt work at first but after his third worm it got it free. I am relieved! Perhaps I am an over worrier? Ah well, back to working on stopping the algae in the first place. :)

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Pictures of the fish?

3. OP
    OP
    Rikkan

Rikkan Valued Member Member

Hi Fanatic, I am unable to get the picture right now, but thankfully giving a good meal of bloodworms shifted it. Think they will have to be on frozen peas tomorrow!
    I was just a little worried about it being blue green algae in particular, that is tough stuff to get rid of!

Thanks for your reply though :)