Algae Ruining My Fish Hobby Dreams.

MargaretMurphy55

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all~

Quick question. If I put a bamboo plant in the bay of my filter, will it stop this terrible algae from growing and taking over my HOB?
20180512_090623.jpg

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A bamboo would help in keeping nitrates down but before that I'd ask how long do you have lights on for & how much / often do you feed? Have you tested your water for nitrate levels?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like brown sludge...is it affecting the flow of the tank? Are the water parameters good and all the fish look healthy?

You probably be best to clean this stuff out with tank water. Get a bucket and fill it with some tank water. Take the filters and whatever and rinse them in the bucket. Pull whatever you can off.

I’m not sure how this stuff starts, while not harmful it is ugly. It might be that your either over stocked, feeding too much or the filter itself might not be strong enough.

I probably would start with reducing the amount of food you feed. Go from there and see if it rebuilds up.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It won't be algae but will be fungi feeding on organic compounds which may be at excessive levels.

MargaretMurphy55

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Redshark1 said:
It won't be algae but will be fungi feeding on organic compounds which may be at excessive levels.
Could this be from decaying plant matter? Just did a massive water change and deep clean. I did have two plants (that I now removed) that were dying. I was seeing if they would bounce back.

MargaretMurphy55

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fashooga said:
Looks like brown sludge...is it affecting the flow of the tank? Are the water parameters good and all the fish look healthy?

You probably be best to clean this stuff out with tank water. Get a bucket and fill it with some tank water. Take the filters and whatever and rinse them in the bucket. Pull whatever you can off.

I’m not sure how this stuff starts, while not harmful it is ugly. It might be that your either over stocked, feeding too much or the filter itself might not be strong enough.

I probably would start with reducing the amount of food you feed. Go from there and see if it rebuilds up.
Just did a massive water change. Never really had issues with my parameters and my fish appear healthy and lively. No change in behavior. I think I may have been overfeeding and there was a lot of dead plant matter around the tank. I'm not sure on how long to keep my lights on.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom