Algae question

parrotheadX5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Despite all efforts, my bowfront tank has finally succumed to horrible brush algae. I submitted pictures last year on here. The rocks looked like muppet heads. It ended up on everything in the tank. Even the heater.

Exasperated, I tore the tank apart and sold the fish back to the store. (Got totally ripped off as well.) Upon further inspection of the store's tanks, it appeared they were having the same problem but were doing daily damage control. I suspect since that was the store I got fish from in the first place, I'm wondering if I inadvertently "infected" (for lack of a better word) my tank with their water when I bought the fish last year. I had no trouble prior to adding fish.... Actually, I'm convinced.
I've read several sources that said brush algae could be free floating as spores?

Regardless, I'm heartbroken since it was a properly functioning tank and the parameters were constantly in great order.

I need a breather for a while and handed my tank and stand over to my husband to have fun with. He's going to start a saltwater tank. Something he's wanted to do since he had one in Florida over 20 years ago.

My question is can brush algae live in saltwater? Probably a stupid question. I don't think it could but despite my hard work and efforts that I could not get it under control in my freshwater tank, I don't want the frustration again of another tank with that kind of aggressive algae and neither does my husband.

I'm wondering if anyone who buys fish from that store, if they should add diluted algae killer to the bag prior to adding the fish to the tank.

What I did salvage out of the tank, I set the expensive fake rocks out in the hot blazing sun. Everything is bleached white. I tossed all the silk plants. That made me ill. They're not cheap. Any opinions on if I should or could reuse these rocks in future freshwater tanks without risk of any algae still on the rocks?

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm fairly certain that the brush algae wouldn't survive in a saltwater tank. I wouldn't recommend adding any algae killer to the water you get from the store. Instead of getting the water directly from the store's tank, try getting it directly from their ro/dI unit. If the rocks have been dry and bleached for more than a few days i'm certain that no living thing would still be...well..living...

parrotheadX5

Valued Member
Reaction score
When the time comes and we begin to add fish to the saltwater tank, I'll request that. Not sure they'll do that but it's worth asking.

parrotheadX5

Valued Member
Reaction score
parrotheadX5 said:
When the time comes and we begin to add fish to the saltwater tank, I'll request that. Not sure they'll do that but it's worth asking.
If I can add this. It occurred to me that I've seen posts on here of people having brush algae using bleach etc and it still returned.

Just a thought.

On to better things to look forward to. A beautiful saltwater tank.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No brush algae in salt but there is hair algae that is even worse not to scare you it is how you prepare and maintenance the system. There is a lot to salt water than you can imagine and there is remedies to solve them as well!!! When you are ready let me Know!!! IMO read and read till your eyes hurt!!!! Lol The more info you cosume the better life will be as a saltie!!

parrotheadX5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll leave the set up to my husband. He's the one who has past experience with salt tanks! I'm sure I'll be posting on here a lot along the way. Thanks for the help offer!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads