Algae Question

MeisEpic

Reactions
Experience
5 years
I had a small aquarium that was over run with algae. I do not know what type of algae it was. It could be removed easily but grew quickly. It was green and soft. There was a moss ball in that Aquarium. The algae grew over the mossball. I eventually dismantled the tank (it was a small 3 gal) and kept the moss ball in a cup with water. I put the moss ball in the fridge for about a week. The colder temp and no light killed the algae (the moss ball did fine). I still have the moss ball in a cup on my desk. I have a 10 gal I want to put it into but do I risk bringing the algae into the aquarium? There is no algae on the moss ball or in the cup.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
3 years
If the specific algae you had that over ran your tank has the ability to go dormant then you could definitely run the risk of introducing it into your 10. Put it in a bowl with some tank water from the 10 and see how it does.

OP
MeisEpic

MeisEpic

Reactions
Experience
5 years
Ok. Thank you so much.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
3 years
MeisEpic said:
Ok. Thank you so much.
Welcome I Shoulda added when u put it in a bowl let it sit there for a few days. just to make sure the moss ball bounces back and nothing else is attached to it

OP
MeisEpic

MeisEpic

Reactions
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
If its a maimo moss ball it is algea.
The algae grew over the moss ball and everything else. The algae in question was not part of the moss ball.

New Threads