algae problems Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Emmy, Apr 19, 2010.

1. EmmyValued MemberMember

I'm a little concerned about a potential algae bloom in my tank. My decorations and some plants have had this black hair like growth on them. Yesterday I trimmed all the plants that had it on them and I removed all the decorations and did a good vaccuum. I haven't replaced the decorations yet, but the stuff is easy enough to remove with a toothbrush and a little scrubbing. I figured I'll just leave the tank as is until the next water change and at that time I'll re-introduce the decorations.

I'm under the impression that this problem is going to get out of control, even if there is so much as a trace of the algae in the water. Is there a way to avoid this problem? I only have a 20gallon tank with some guppies, neons, cories and oto's, I'm not really interested in adding a siamese algae eater cos I feel they'd be too big for my tank.

If I just keep my eye on things and keep stuff clean and keep up with the water changes, will that be enough to keep this from becoming a huge problem?

2. Beth1965Well Known MemberMember

Just curious, is the black hair like growth look like velvet or like long stringy algae?
    Beth

3. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

What is your lighting like, if it is too bright it will really cause problems. You could put your lights on a timer and have them set so the lights go on and off through out the day, algae hates interrupted light. just keep the total time of the lights being on around 10 hours or for however long you have them going now, the plants won't mind the interrupted light. Also try adding more plants, anacharis works great for combating algae and is easy to care for.

4. pepetjWell Known MemberMember

To make things difficult for algae growth to be steady enough to colonize surface in your plants and decor, consider introducing 30min to 1 hour lights off periods embedded in your say 14 hours/day lamps on cycle.

I've done this to control hair algae and it worked. After I got rid of the algae I stopped using DIY CO2 and went with Flourish Excel as bio-available carbon source. I also added peat to the filtration system (my DIY CO2 dropped pH by 0.5-0.7 and I wanted that drop to remain) while kept the lighting upgrade I made before (which I suspect created conditions for hair algae to grow out of control).

I did what you just did: removed as much leaves with algae as I could as well as decor (in my case driftwoods) colonized by it.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice