Algae Problems

Hannahfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all, I've been having problems with various types of algae in all of my aquariums, but especially my 20 gallon planted tank. All of my tanks get 50% waterchanges every week, I dose Easy Green once per week, photoperiod is between 8-12 hours (depending on the tank), nitrates beteen 5-15 on all tanks. All tanks are over a year old. My 20 gallon is the most baffling. The tank is running c02, weekly ferts, surface covering plants (the middle and bottom of the tank are quite dark), the plants all grow like weeds (I am removing around 1/4 lb of plant mass per week). And the tank is overrun with hair algae. I have to spend an hour cleaning the stuff every week to keep it from filling the tank so much that the fish are restricted in swimming area. It is growing across the gravel like a super-speed lawn. It is growing on rocks and the glass. I am at a loss. As for my other tanks, I have a 75 gallon running 15 watts of lighting in a dark room and it is covered in diatoms. All of my other tanks have diatoms, bba, cyano, lots of hair algae, or any combination of these. Any help would be appreciated, I am really not sure what I am doing wrong here. Thanks.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds rough but I'm currently experiencing the same thing.

I had lots of hair algae and cyanobacteria for a while but I was able to get rid of it through a 4-day blackout. It was rough but it worked. Unfortunately I haven't honed in on the issue (well all signs point to my LED bulb) so different types of algae come back.

Anyway, the blackout should work with lots of that and will help restart your tanks without harming plants.

As for diatoms, I usually find this is caused by lack of water movement through the entire water column.

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
First of all keeping your lights on for 8-12 hours a day is a bit long, 7 hours is better. Black beard algae and cyano are both things that don't just show up, they are introduced. I don't know how to beat cyano but I did just beat black beard. I took out as much as I could during a water change, did a 3 day black out, started doing c02 and got a siamese algae eater, It is still in my tank but there is barley any. My siamese algae eater keeps it in check. I would usually recommend against getting a fish just to clean algae but Black beard algae is another story due to how difficult it is to remove.

camste

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cyano is a nightmare. I was able to beat it in the end by changing the lights (which were getting to around 1 year old), and using something from Easy-Life called Blue Exit. You have to dose it gradually up to the right concentration over some days and leave it in for 2 weeks without water changes. Then I was able to wipe it off, siphon it out and get rid of it. A long blackout didn't work for me, but there was quite a lot of it. After this it didn't come back so I guess I killed all of it so that it couldn't multiply again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom