Algae Problems

1. omordn

omordn Valued Member Member

So, I think this post is mostly for me to vent my frustration. For the past 6+ months I have been battling a nasty algae bloom. I believe the algae my tank currently developed is the BGA and the hair algae. Long story short, it has gotten to the point where all that is left in my tank is driftwood and the sand gravel (i.e. the tank used to be heavily planted with assorted anubia plants). My tank looked great for 1+ years and all of a sudden, BAM, I developed this algae issue.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can review what I've done and maybe pin point something I've missed to see if I can give this issue one last fight before giving up the hobby entirely.
    • 90% water change
    • 7 day black out
    • manually scrubbed off as much of the algae as I possibly could with a 75% water change
    • lights are only turned on maybe 4 hours a day (sometimes less)
    • feed fish sparingly (every other day)
    • even tried some medication to see if it removes the algae (which it didn't)
    Is there anything I've missed? I'm dumbfounded that I cannot seem to get ahead of this issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I believe that BGA is actually a kind of bacteria and not algae at all. The way to get rid of it is by using antibiotics.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can I please see what the tank looks like now?

4. OP
    OP
    omordn

Thanks for you reply. Would you happen to have a recommendation for the antibiotics? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

[​IMG]  
    This is how the tank looks like and the algae.

5. Aquaphobia

6. OP
    OP
    omordn

Yep... I've read this article.

7. Aquaphobia

From other threads about it the medication called Maricyn-2 (I hope I spelled that right) was mentioned.

8. OP
    OP
    omordn

I apologize for the delayed response. Thanks. I did another deep clean and major water change. I'm going to try one last blackout and hope it helps.