Algae Problems in High Tech Setup.

FishLoverJess

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Everyone this is my 1st post EVER!!, my name is Jess, I have finally joined fishlore, I just love the site and is my go when searching for answers, but I have recently ran into some problems of my own!
I will try to provide as much information and photos on my tank as possible.

I currently have a ten gallon `high tech planted tank` my tank has gone through the nitrogen cycle which took about 5-6 weeks to complete, ammonia & nitrite reads 0 and nitrate reads 10ppm.
I also run my finnex ray2 for 6-8 hours a day, with co2 injections around a bubble per 1-3 seconds with a diffuser, I do have an ista drop checker which is always a nice green colour. it does take about two-three hours after lights are on and co2 turns on to change from blue to green.
I turn both on manually each day at the same time, and turn my co2 off an hour or two before lights off (if I don't the drop checker turns yellow) I also have an air stone which I turn on at night only!

I recently started dosing my tank with seachem`s liquid ferts...which include (trace, potassium, flourish, and iron)
I have about 10 root tabs inserted in my flourite substrate mostly around all my root feeder plants.
I plan of changing my substrate to ADA Aqua Soil in about a week or so, but before I do that I need to figure out why I am getting so much algae growth.

All my plants seem to be growing at a pretty fast pace I'm seeing new growth almost every day BUT almost never see my plants pearl only a few time ( maybe that's some key info) . the algae that I'm seeing in my tank are -Green Spot Algae (only on the front glass of my aquarium) & hard to remove with hands.
The aquarium is not in direct sunlight! Brown Algae (on all sides of my aquarium glass) easy to remove, I also see brown spots on my anubias leaves which are also easy to remove.

I also notice that on my S,repens the older bottom leaves ONLY are covered with what looks like black algae spot, I don't know what type it is but its very ugly and ruining the visual appearance of the tank.
This algae is not bushy and looks just like the brown algae just black!maybe my tank doesn't need all the dosing with liquid ferts which may be leaving excess nutrients that the plants are not using, but I have been following the dosing chart for a 10 gallon and not adding anymore then it says.

Really the question here is what is the cause of this algae growth & what can I do to minimize it from taking over or stop it all together?

water parameters =Ammonia - 0No2 - 0No3 - 10-20ppmPH - 7-7.2Temp - 76-80
I TEST MY WATER WITH API MASTER TEST KIT and I do weekly 10-25% water changes
If I have time I may do it twice a week or right after I wipe off the brown algae on the glass.
I'm goal is to master this 10 gallon planted tank and find out as much information as I can to have a successful tank so I can then move on to a much bigger tank with confidence AND HOPEFULLY NOT HAVE SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH ALGAE GROWTH!

I will attach a few photos which might help.I hope I have provided enough information for someone to help me if not just ask and I will post againthis is my 1st post and I hope its good!
LOL THANK YOU!!!FISHLOVERJESSPHOTOS WERE TAKEN RIGHT AFTER A MASSIVE GLASS CLEANING!!!

image.jpg
image.jpg

PaulieWoz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm no expert, but I think if you have a high light and co2 you should be dosing all the macro ferts. So you're missing nitrogen and phosphorus.

If you supply all the ferts than your plants will grow faster and help keep the algae down.

Green spot algae is also sometimes caused by low phosphate. So dosing it might help with that as well.

Also if your dosing flourish comprehensive, I wouldn't worry about trace. It's almost identical, but has fewer micros in it.

OP
FishLoverJess

FishLoverJess

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thank you so much for your reply!! I will try dosing nitrogen and phosphorus to see if that helps at all.

PaulieWoz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It might also help if the lights come on at the same time and turn off at the same time every day. I noticed you said they're on 6-8 hours. Sometimes inconsistent photo periods can cause algae issues.

I bought a cheap dollar store timer and use that.

OP
FishLoverJess

FishLoverJess

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MarkN1990 said:
Decent looking tank!
thank you Mark! I do plan on rearranging the tank this weekend! and adding aqua soil! can't wait to post photos

PaulieWoz said:
It might also help if the lights come on at the same time and turn off at the same time every day. I noticed you said they're on 6-8 hours. Sometimes inconsistent photo periods can cause algae issues.

I bought a cheap dollar store timer and use that.
yes I will invest in a timer normally I put it on at 2pm and take it off around 10pm I'm pretty good with that but sometimes I leave it on just a little longer cause I enjoying watching it lol. thank you for you advice!!

New Threads