Algae Problem -.-

1. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Member Member

I have a 50g dirted planted tank that is not doing so well. The fish are perfectly healthy. . . its the plants. The tank is about 10 months old. Plants included Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Dwarf Sag, Narrow Leaf Sag, Hygrophilia Corymbosa, and Ludwigia. Fish include, 4 angels, 15 platinum tetra, 6 corys, 5 ottos, 2 platys, BN pleco, and RTS. Filtration is at 600 gph in power head filters. I live in Bolivia, the only options I had for filtration were powerheads or sponge filters. For lighting I have 80 watts in LEDs, 4 strips. The first 7 months everything went smoothly. I had great growth, no algae. But then life got in the way, and I went 3 whole months without a water change. No fish died, filters were saturated, water was suprisinngly very clear. . . .but 70 percent of the plants melted away. And algae took over. I mostly have BBA, and green spot algae. Im back with my wkly water changes, but its not the same. Most of my plants have algae on their leaves, and im not seeing growth.

Should I start all over? Toss all the plants, give the hardscape a good scrub and bleach some equipment?

I feel like the BBA wont go away. I fixed all the problems that are causing algae.

2. Agrivoi1

Agrivoi1 Initiate Member

I would change over to a sponge filter, and find an algea eating fish and introduce it into the tank. I wouldnt add shrimp due to the fish already present in the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

Why change filter? Powerhead filters filter way better than a pong filter. . if you are worried about flow, i got it under control.. . .
    I have 4 of these filters: SunSun HJ-752 Submersible Filtration Pump | Filtration pump for fresh Marine

4. Agrivoi1

Agrivoi1 Initiate Member

Ive had better luck with sponge filters, but i also keep shrimp in my tanks so thats why i would recommend one.

5. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

Ah yes, I agree with the shrimp. I will be getting some ghost shrimp soon, since they are the only available shrimp where I live. But as for filtration, the spong filters would make to much gas exchange at the surface causing the little bit of CO2 in my tank to dissipate. I just wish I had some canister filters.

6. Agrivoi1

Agrivoi1 Initiate Member

You could always try snails, but im bot a big fan of them.