Algae Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tnedet, Apr 15, 2017.

1. tnedet

tnedetNew MemberMember

[​IMG]
    Okay ive got 4 live plants a betta and a Cory in a 5g (please no lectures I know cories are schooling and the tank is too small but they've been doing great for 2 months now). Cleaned for the first time since I got this new tank about 2-3 weeks ago and algae came back fast and hard. Also didn't have this stringy algae that's pictured. Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I'd try less lighting and see if that works, along with cleaning the algae off manually.

3. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

What is your lighting, are you dosing ferts, what substrate do you have, does your aquarium recieve sunlight, are you overfeeding?
    And doing great is too broad my friend, one thing is surviving the other one is thriving.

4. OP
    OP
    tnedet

tnedetNew MemberMember

I did a deep clean a few weeks ago. Emptied tank cleaned with warm water, used colander and cleaned gravel, scrubbed log, even rinsed plants and it seemed to come back faster than when I started the tank. I'm going to put the light on a timer I think. Algae is all over the plants too so looks like another deep clean next weekend.

5. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

There is an inbalance in your tank, it can be extra nutrients or extra light. How long are the lights on right now?

6. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Are you rinsing with tap water?

Also how many hours a day is that light on?

7. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Reduce your lighting, manually scrub your tank (I have to every other week or so, tank's next to the window). If you're using a liquid fertilizer, I'd chill out with it, I've noticed that they've caused blooms in my tanks.

8. OP
    OP
    tnedet

tnedetNew MemberMember

Lights are on from about 8-8 what should I set the timer I get for?

9. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

I think the norm is about 7 hours, so maybe give that a try. Also, is the tank near a window? If so, you could have the lights off a lot less, or move the tank away from the window, too much light is the most probable cause.

Btw I love that honeycomb looking log?/rock? in your tank, is it real or resin/imitation? Do you know where I could get something similar (or the same one if it's resin)? :) It looks really cool.

10. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

The water looks cloudy (unless it's just a blurry picture). You might be overfeeding, and you were definitely having the lights on too long. What filter are you using for the 5-gallon tank? I see something that might be a heater in the picture, but no filter is visible.

11. Arwen

ArwenNew MemberMember

do try the lighting, may want to cut down by half the duration you have it on & slowly increasing there after. The clearing up will take a couple of days. Would be interesting to know what kind of filtration are you running on too, enjoy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice