Algae problem - need snails

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am getting a bad algae problem in my tank. What snails will eat it?

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one large turbo snail. He's great.
Though they are not effective against long hair algae, they will help to mow any short algae and keep it under control.
What type of algae is the problem ?

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really dont know what kind it is. Its green LOL. Its not that bad. Its about 1cm high. I think it was caused by my metal halide ballast. I turn it on for the anemone.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't remember ... How old is your setup ? Is it finished cycling ?
I also have a nitrate problem ... Though it's getting better since I added a refugium ... It's still not zero .

Yes to turbo snails - No to crabs !

Also how are those new Odyssea MH lights working out ? I'm looking to do an upgrade of my lighting !

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with only using the snails and not using crabs. They pick at too many things including the snails. In new tanks it's common to go through the algae stages, brown - green and then the calcerous types start growing. Limit the nutrients you're putting into the tank (i.e. fish food) do weekly water changes and keep the tank heavily skimmed and lightly stocked and you should get through it.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also check your phosphate levels. If your tap water has phosphates you may need to invest in a reverse osmosis filter for water top-offs. I've been using a PUR filter (attached to the sink) for my water top-offs with no probs for the last few years.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am never going to get crabs in the tank. I heard that when they get older they will be more aggressive and start killing fish and other inverts. The tank's cycle has finished. Its over 3 weeks old. I think its our water quality. I only feed my anemone twice a week.

I was looking at turbo snails and I may get them soon.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BTW the oddessa ballast is awesome. I love it alot

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey hey, just my 2 cents but after only 3 weeks I think you're probably still going through a cycle stage - mine was still going afetr 6 weeks so it might go away after a few more weeks - just do as Mike said - limit the food etc and you should be ok! Best of luck!

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I found out the cause of the bad algae. It was the live rock I bought from another seller. It had algae on it and I paid no attention to it. It spreaded from that. I am limiting the squid though. twice a week.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Doesn't using phosphater remover with RO water help a lot?

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I may get some chaeto for the tank to control the phosphate. I just think its the algae cycle mike was referring to. It spreaded in 15 minutes on the sand.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was reading about the cycle. Its part of the cycle. I cant wait till the cycle is over.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought so - its called cyano bloom I think. it will go away - never fear!

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank god! LOL Everyday I have to sift the sand and scrape off the algae on the glass. Tomorrow I am pulling it off the LR.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My mom got turbo snails and blue leg hermits. She did not know better but oh well. I will keep them for a lil while then sell them. 5 tubos and 6 blue leg hermits.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well you gotta look at it from the point that at the moment they can only do good - they cant do any harm! I got a sand sifting starfish and some nassarius snails and they made a world of difference. My hermits are picky and only eat off the rock but then the starfish and snails will only eat from the sand so I got both sides covered!
What fish are you planning on getting?

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I put a bid on a false percula which goes off in 4 hours. I want maybe 3 yellow tale or blue damsels "they are 3 for $12 at my LFS". 4 Skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 Serpent star and a feathduster later on. Then sometime I will get 1 more false percula for the tank. Thats about it.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool I like feather dusters and serpent stars! When you get your clowns I would be wary - you'll have to get a very small one that hasn't developed a sex yet because they need to pair and if they dont you could have a battered fishy on your hards. I would recommend buying them as a pair of babies when it comes to clown fish.
I dont know how well 3 damsels would do either - I would definitely not recommend them after my experience with their aggression! If you do want them only add them after you have ALL your other fish because then at least the others will have time ot sort out their territories before the damsels come in and take over! Unruly little hooligans >

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom