Algae Problem In Tank With Blue Lobster

Discussion in 'Blue Lobster' started by Coumwalk2015, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Coumwalk2015

Coumwalk2015 New Member Member

I own Fred the Blue lobster and recently I can't seem to get the algae under control in his tank. I've done multiple large water changes (it doesn't seem to be on the sides or anything and I'm constantly cleaning the sides just in case) and the algae is back within days. I have normal lighting for a tank nothing special and his tank is a little on the warmer side at 75 degrees. (He seems so much more active when the water is warmer). He's in a 20 gallon tank all by himself (not by any windows) and I'm afraid to put any algae eater (snail or fish)in the tank because I'm pretty sure he'll go after them. I tried putting a few giant danios in there once and he literally hunted them for days so I finally just moved them into another tank. There are no live plants in the tank currently because he thinks its a great idea to tear them up and waste my money. I can't seem to find anything that can take care of the algae and that's safe for him. Any recommendations? He doesn't seem to mind the algae that much but it's driving me crazy!

EDIT: The type is green algae (sorry about that)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

Hello there, @Coumwalk2015 .

Have you recently tested your water? If there is too much nitrates this could cause the problem. Algae feeds upon nitrate. Also what kind of algae specifically? Diatoms, hair, green algae? Can you post a picture?

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Need to know what type of algae your dealing with so we can figure out the cause

4. OP
    OP
    Coumwalk2015

Coumwalk2015 New Member Member

It was green algae sorry. Unfortunately I don't have a picture because I just did a huge water change last night but I'm constantly do water changes to try to get rid it. There were moss balls in his tank that he liked to shred but I got rid of those (think that could of been the cause due to the fact all this started when one of the balls got stuck to the filter) and I cleaned out the filter really well. Since the water change all of the values are WNL but I'll test next week to double check the nitrates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice