Algae problem. Help.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Mallorysmith44, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mallorysmith44

Mallorysmith44 Valued Member Member

So I got a new light for my plants and all of a sudden in the front of my tank it's this little fluffy puffs of algae growing everywhere and my Pleco is not doing his job very well. Lol. But is there a way to get rid of this or what???

2. I'm not Fish-ist

I'm not Fish-ist Valued Member Member

Can you post a picture? Yes there are multiple ways to stop this, were your plants growing without the new light?

3. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

[​IMG]

Thats the algae. And no that's why got a bigger light.

4. I'm not Fish-ist

Go to your Lfs and look for Marineland 'Algae Eliminator'. It works pretty well for my tanks. And dont ever scrub algae off with any aquarium brush etc because algae reproduce by spore and that will spread algae "seeds" throughout your whole tank

5. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

Ok thanks and that won't hurt any of my plants or my moss ball will it?

6. I'm not Fish-ist

No worries, its safe for plants ( except algae, obviously) but it isnt safe for shrimp or any crustaceans so if you have those and care about them i would suggest not using it

7. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

Yeah I have shrimp for eel and and then my dragon goby may catch one every now and then.

8. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of light did you get and how long do you have them on for? And what size tank? I wouldn't get any type of algae fix chemical but rather find the root cause and make adjustments there.

9. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

It's a marineland, has the day time light and the night time light. So I turn the day light on when I get up for work at 5 and the night light on at about 830 ish.

10. el337

I'd wipe the algae off and do a good water change and reduce the lights to 6-8 hrs. 15 hrs is too much light. Getting a timer and splitting up the photo periods so you can enjoy the tank while you're home is a good idea. So, have it on from 5-9, off until 4-8. See if that helps and then reduce it more if you're still seeing issues.

11. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

Ok so just don't turn the night light on then. And do you think that all this is actually hindering my plants growth?

12. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

13. el337

Well, you want to limit the hours of the day time lights since that is what is likely causing the algae. The moonlights wouldn't matter but I wouldn't have them on all night so your fish can get some rest too.

Poor plant growth could be from many different things. What kind of plants do you have? Do you dose any ferts? Liquid CO2?

14. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

Okay so I have Water wisteria, Amazon swords, rhizome, hastofolia Anubis. And then I have a few other plants but I'm not sure of there names I'll add a picture of them. [​IMG]

15. el337

Those plants you have don't require a lot of light or high light. I'd try reducing the lights as mentioned before and see what happens.

16. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Are those marine-tubes ?

17. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

Yes they are the tubes. And ok I will try that

18. DoubleDutch

I'd say freshwatertanks (plants) need a different lightspectrum than marinetanks (corals).

19. OP
    OP
    Mallorysmith44

[​IMG]
    This is the lights that I have I got them cause they said freshwater on them.

20. DoubleDutch

Ahh okay it is not just marine (that's what I thought).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice