Algae problem during cycle Question 

Yannick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm doing a fishless cycle but have a good amount of plants in the tank.

I'm getting more and more algae every day... I try to get rid of them by cleaning much as possible but it seems impossible.
Every day, while I'm taking the water parameters, I clean the glass and wipe the algae but now they seem to cover parts of rocks and my plants are growing hairs on the leaves as well which I cannot easily remove..

I programmed the light to run for 7 hours a day so don't think that's to much?
Tank is also not in direct sunlight.

Is this something I just have to endure during the cycle and will improve once there are fish in?
It's just that it starts to get very difficult to get the algae problem in check...

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
During a fishless cycle it can be difficult to just sit there taking parameter readings and so like you, when I first started I had the lights on and added plants.

Unfortunately with the high levels of Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia coupled with lights running for 7 hours a day your inviting algae to form. A fishless cycle is also toxic for plants and ammonia can and will break the plants cellular walls. In short, remove the plants and turn off the light. Otherwise your basically seeding your new aquarium with algae before it's up and running.

Yannick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read a lot about doing fishless cycle but it's the first time I hear about actually also doing a planless cycle.. I never saw advice that having plants would be bad...

I don't have a spare tank that I can put the plants into... I could put them in a bucket but there's no substrate or fertilizer or anything... Would they survive?
Would that be better than to leave the plants in the tank?

If I remove the plants, I'll also be removing some BB as they will have attached to the plants by now...

TWiG87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The hairs are normal and will go away on their own. I would cut back to 5 or 6 hours of light a day and maybe even break up your photo period into 2 three hour blocks of light with a 3 or 4 hour break in between. You don’t need to remove your plants. I just cycled a 20 gallon with plants in it from the start. Normal amounts of ammonia during your cycle aren’t going to harm your plants. They will use it/ remove it

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yannick said:
I've read a lot about doing fishless cycle but it's the first time I hear about actually also doing a planless cycle.. I never saw advice that having plants would be bad...

I don't have a spare tank that I can put the plants into... I could put them in a bucket but there's no substrate or fertilizer or anything... Would they survive?
Would that be better than to leave the plants in the tank?

If I remove the plants, I'll also be removing some BB as they will have attached to the plants by now...
Your predicament is more common than you think. I did the exact same thing when I started my first cycle many moons ago and so it's easily recognizable when you see the same issue pop up in other setups.

The BB bacteria live where the flow is the fastest which is why filters allow them to thrive and multiply. I would put the plants in a bucket and put that bucket on top of your aquarium (if it's hooded) so they don't get too cold. Turn off the light completely and watch for PH drops. When the PH drops do a 100% WC and keep following the process until your BB reach a stage where they can convert the level of ammonia through to Nitrate in under 12 hours.

How much ammonia are you adding?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads