Algae problem at mom’s

Nikao

My mom has algae in her tank that she wants me to clean. I believe it is because there aren’t frequent water changes and they don’t have an air stone or sponge filter. However, my step dad is saying that having a bubbler worsens the problem. I was aware that no having enough CO2 would cause algae, I’m guessing the bubbler actually caused more oxygen.
Do you guys have any idea what I could do to rectify the problem besides water changes? They did put in a UVC microbe eliminator.
What kind of more info could I provide? It is green algae.

Dunk2

My mom has algae in her tank that she wants me to clean. I believe it is because there aren’t frequent water changes and they don’t have an air stone or sponge filter. However, my step dad is saying that having a bubbler worsens the problem. I was aware that no having enough CO2 would cause algae, I’m guessing the bubbler actually caused more oxygen.
Do you guys have any idea what I could do to rectify the problem besides water changes? They did put in a UVC microbe eliminator.
What kind of more info could I provide? It is green algae.

How long are the aquarium lights on each day?

Nikao

They are on for about 11 hours

Dunk2

I’d suggest cutting back to 6 - 8 hours/day and seeing if that makes a difference.

CoryBoi

I actually keep my lights on for 12 hours a day, that’s how it’s been for years and besides when I first set teh tank up, I have not had a single problem with algae. I'm not saying that the lights aren’t the problem though.

coralbandit

Buy them a timer so the lights are on auto ...

altwitch

Lighting and timing is always my first answer. Tanks vary based on depth of water and proximity of lights so what works fine in one tank may not work well in another. If timer permits set to be on for two 4 hour periods per day with a 2-4 hour break in between and that will help. Other than that live plants are huge so if you have them great, adding to the # can help considerably. Fast growers like water wisteria are great for outcompeting algae.

Hope that helps.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Tpane27
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Tpane27
  • Question
  • Thibault Drake
  • Algae
Replies
Views