Algae Outcompeting Plants For Nutrients

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have come to a conclusion that my plants may be dying due to the algae outcompeting them for nutrients, as it’s gotten way out of hand recently.
So, today I am going to clean the tank up, remove all plants and scrape the algae off them and the glass.
3E1DC40A-7DE4-4BA4-8569-E54BA9C57FE9.jpeg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
I have come to a conclusion that my plants may be dying due to the algae outcompeting them for nutrients, as it’s gotten way out of hand recently.
So, today I am going to clean the tank up, remove all plants and scrape the algae off them and the glass.
3E1DC40A-7DE4-4BA4-8569-E54BA9C57FE9.jpeg
Mmmm to me this conclusion isn't the right one.

My two cents : You plants lack certain ferts /light/co2. algae as more primitive will thrive when this happens (less nutrition needed) Healthy plantgrowth on the other hand means preventing algaegrowth. In a good situation algae will never outcompete plants, plants will outcompete algae.

OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DoubleDutch said:
Mmmm to me this conclusion isn't the right one.

My two cents : You plants lack certain ferts /light/co2. algae as more primitive will thrive when this happens (less nutrition needed) Healthy plantgrowth on the other hand means preventing algaegrowth. In a good situation algae will never outcompete plants, plants will outcompete algae.
I have a full spectrum light on right now, dosing only Flourish.
Thrive is just way too expensive, and I don't see the need for such a giant bottle for $30.00 when I have a few anubias and java fern.
Anyways, I am basically trying to give them equal light, but it's hard in a divided tank with narrow space.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And nitrates / phosfates ?
Btw : I had years of cyano issues. Used full spectrum bulbs. You know when it was solved? At the moment I started to use cheap 4000K tubes woohahaha.
Since then no expensive aquariumtubes for me.
Fanatic said:
I have a full spectrum light on right now, dosing only Flourish.
Thrive is just way too expensive, and I don't see the need for such a giant bottle for $30.00 when I have a few anubias and java fern.
Anyways, I am basically trying to give them equal light, but it's hard in a divided tank with narrow space.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
Btw : I had years of cyano issues. Used full spectrum bulbs. You know when it was solved? At the moment I started to use cheap 4000K tubes woohahaha.
Agree. My smaller (shorter) tanks do well with the cheap 5000k bulbs.

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
Dave125g said:
Agree. My smaller (shorter) tanks do well with the cheap 5000k bulbs.
What kind of tubes/bulbs?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JLeeM said:
What kind of tubes/bulbs?
These are the ones I use on my small tanks. The big 1 has leds now, but the florescent tubes were 32 watt T8 with a 6500k color temperature.
1002181325-1.jpg

New Threads