Algae Outcompeting Plants For Nutrients

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,161
Reaction score
6,158
Location
Texas
Experience
3 years
I have come to a conclusion that my plants may be dying due to the algae outcompeting them for nutrients, as it’s gotten way out of hand recently.
So, today I am going to clean the tank up, remove all plants and scrape the algae off them and the glass.
3E1DC40A-7DE4-4BA4-8569-E54BA9C57FE9.jpeg
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
19,323
Reaction score
13,457
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
I have come to a conclusion that my plants may be dying due to the algae outcompeting them for nutrients, as it’s gotten way out of hand recently.
So, today I am going to clean the tank up, remove all plants and scrape the algae off them and the glass.
3E1DC40A-7DE4-4BA4-8569-E54BA9C57FE9.jpeg
Mmmm to me this conclusion isn't the right one.

My two cents : You plants lack certain ferts /light/co2. algae as more primitive will thrive when this happens (less nutrition needed) Healthy plantgrowth on the other hand means preventing algaegrowth. In a good situation algae will never outcompete plants, plants will outcompete algae.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,161
Reaction score
6,158
Location
Texas
Experience
3 years
DoubleDutch said:
Mmmm to me this conclusion isn't the right one.

My two cents : You plants lack certain ferts /light/co2. algae as more primitive will thrive when this happens (less nutrition needed) Healthy plantgrowth on the other hand means preventing algaegrowth. In a good situation algae will never outcompete plants, plants will outcompete algae.
I have a full spectrum light on right now, dosing only Flourish.
Thrive is just way too expensive, and I don't see the need for such a giant bottle for $30.00 when I have a few anubias and java fern.
Anyways, I am basically trying to give them equal light, but it's hard in a divided tank with narrow space.
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
19,323
Reaction score
13,457
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
And nitrates / phosfates ?
Btw : I had years of cyano issues. Used full spectrum bulbs. You know when it was solved? At the moment I started to use cheap 4000K tubes woohahaha.
Since then no expensive aquariumtubes for me.
Fanatic said:
I have a full spectrum light on right now, dosing only Flourish.
Thrive is just way too expensive, and I don't see the need for such a giant bottle for $30.00 when I have a few anubias and java fern.
Anyways, I am basically trying to give them equal light, but it's hard in a divided tank with narrow space.
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,950
Reaction score
11,461
Location
upstate NY
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
And nitrates / phosfates ?
Btw : I had years of cyano issues. Used full spectrum bulbs. You know when it was solved? At the moment I started to use cheap 4000K tubes woohahaha.
Since then no expensive aquariumtubes for me.
Agree. My smaller (shorter) tanks do well with the cheap 5000k bulbs.
 

JLeeM

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,946
Reaction score
2,419
Location
Tennessee
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
And nitrates / phosfates ?
Btw : I had years of cyano issues. Used full spectrum bulbs. You know when it was solved? At the moment I started to use cheap 4000K tubes woohahaha.
Since then no expensive aquariumtubes for me.
Dave125g said:
Agree. My smaller (shorter) tanks do well with the cheap 5000k bulbs.
What kind of tubes/bulbs?
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,950
Reaction score
11,461
Location
upstate NY
Experience
More than 10 years
JLeeM said:
What kind of tubes/bulbs?
These are the ones I use on my small tanks. The big 1 has leds now, but the florescent tubes were 32 watt T8 with a 6500k color temperature.
1002181325-1.jpg
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
98
Guests online
2,020
Total visitors
2,118

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom