Algae Out Of Silk Plants?

1. T

Thatgirlinblack New Member Member

I've gad some silk plants in with my bettas for a while, and I cleaned their tanks today, and one of them is looking pretty grotty. I scrubbed it out as best as I could, but it still looks quite gross. The fake plant isn't too old and I don't really don't want to throw it out, but without any algae feeders in the tanks with them, I'm afraid I will have to regularly throw it out. Any ideas?

P.s I'm also trying to figure out what algae eaters I can put in with my bettas to keep algae down... I've had a bad experience with golden Inca snails. I've heard shrimp can work? Can anyone confirm/deny?

2. Aquilist

Aquilist Valued Member Member

I've been wondering about this too. My silk plants look awful. Hygienically, they're clean but not visually..

3. OP
    OP
    T

I know, right? I don't want to throw them out, cuz one of my Bettas really likes to sit on or hide under the massive leafs. If I took them out and replaced them, it might make him really upset, lol.

4. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

Shrimp may work. (Though, if your Betta disliked a snail, I doubt it.)
    The reason I say May is that I had two betas (1 male,1 female) with similar setups and the same tank size and water perameters. I got 12 shrimp and divided it between the two tanks. 6 shrimp got eaten and 6 didn’t.
    As for a clean up crew, I recommend nertile snails. I know you had a bad experience with them in the past, but these guys are a little bit less eye catching to a Betta. They are sold at petsmart for less than 3 dollars.
    Ps. You can always take the silk plant out of the tank for awhile and the alge dries. Rinse it well and you have a clean tank. Hope I could help.

5. OP
    OP
    T

It wasn't that the bettas didn't like the snails(he pecked at his eyes and tentacles a little bit, but that was all), it's more that the snails just never seemed healthy, and I didn't know how to fix it. After a while, they just kind of didn't move. When the last one died, I found his trapdoor seperated from his shell, and his body dragged out into the open... The Betta never really was aggressive enough to do something like this, so I put it down to my poor care... I don't wanna put snails in because I don't want a repeat of that, lol.

I was wondering if shrimp could work, as the bettas are more preoccupied with each other(I've got two eight litre tanks set up side by side so they can see each other), or with me when I enter the room, so they don't really spend that much time running around their tanks on their own. Could they be distracted enough to have a lasting population of shrimp? Idk probably not.

6. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

You could always try shrimp. They aren’t very likely to stay around though. If you are going to try shrimp, get the gost type. This is mainly due to the fact that they are super cheap and easy to care for. Hopefully, they work!