Algae? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Fish Addict' started by Fish Addict, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Fish Addict

Fish AddictWell Known MemberMember

I have started to noticed some thing like alage growing on my plants... It ends up looking like black thread is attached to the leaves. Does anyone know what this is, and how I can get rid of it?

2. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

3. Cordi

CordiValued MemberMember

sounds like staghorn algae to me.

it's the bane of my planted tanks.

SAE's eat is, FlourishExcel gets rid of it.. and if you can't get/don't want those then good old manual removal of the leaves is the only other way.

i have lost so many Glosso carpets as well as 3 fully planted tanks to staghorn since i can't get excel in england

4. OP
    OP
    Fish Addict

Hmm, yeah the thing is, it doesn't look as dark as what I have... but that is the closest thing that I've seen on other sites...

Here are some pictures of the stuff...

Attached Files:

5. mathas

mathasWell Known MemberMember

Staghorn can be quite dark. Look at the first picture under 'Staghorn' on this site:

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

6. OP
    OP
    Fish Addict

Oh, yep, I think that is probably it. I will make sure it is tomorrow, since the lights are already off for Earth Hour, or whatever that was called.

But, now, solutions? I already use Excel...

7. OP
    OP
    Fish Addict

Does anyone know many solutions, because I am already using Excel.... and will it die and leave the leaves, or do they have to go too, b/c its on a lot of stuff..

8. OP
    OP
    Fish Addict

Hello? Can someone help? Its spreading.... :eek::;hurryb

9. jack--sos

jack--sosWell Known MemberMember

i think the best way to get rid of it is to get it off manually, get a bucket of tank water, take the plants out and scrub untill its off, this will mean you will have to replant them but atleast the algae will have gone, there may be another way but im not sure

10. OP
    OP
    Fish Addict

Yeah I'd really like if therewas a different way, because it is on some things thats leaves are too fragile for me to scrub, and its also on a lot of plants, so I'd have to do that with most of the tank..

11. mathas

The link I posted a couple of weeks ago has suggested methods of removal, but you haven't mentioned what, if anything, off the list you've tried:
    • Check CO2 levels (if you don't use CO2, ignore this one)
    • Make sure you have good water circulation
    • Reduce feeding
    • Vacuum the substrate and remove mulm
    • Overdosing Flourish Excel usually helps
    How is your water circulation? Do you overfeed? How often do you vacuum the substrate? Have you tried overdosing Excel? Have you tried a concentrated/targeted dose of Excel with a syringe?

GWAPA says the following:
    You might also try doing a search for 'staghorn' at plantedtank.net and read through some of the responses to see what's worked for others.

12. OP
    OP
    Fish Addict

Thanks a lot for that
    I feed the fish only every other day, and I don't have CO2 just excel so I guess its just water changes...
    So what would overdosing Excel be like? Twice the normal amount? And will it harm anything else?
    What about SAE's?

13. mathas

2-3x a normal dose, depending on which site you read.
    If you dose too much, or have sensitive plants (Anachris, some vals, etc.), possibly. A better way might be to hit a local drug store and buy a plastic syringe for a couple of dollars, and use it to dispense the Excel directly onto the algae.
    I've never kept them, so I don't know. Some sites say they eat staghorn algae, others say they don't.