Algae Or Fungus Removal!?

Black Cousteau
I have this white cotton like thing flowing on my Monte Carlo plant as well as my fake plant. I also noticed some on the tree I used but none on the Java moss.

Is this algae?

How do you remove this or stop it from happening?

Are there any alge eaters that can go in a 5 gallon tank And live with a Betta?

MVIMG_20180219_102511.jpg

MVIMG_20180219_102547.jpg

MVIMG_20180219_172222.jpg

EbiAqua
The stuff on the monte carlo is algae, the white stuff on the driftwood is a common fungus that will eventually go away.

How long do you keep the lights on in the tank?

Black Cousteau
The stuff on the monte carlo is algae, the white stuff on the driftwood is a common fungus that will eventually go away.

How long do you keep the lights on in the tank?
8hrs on timer

EbiAqua
8hrs on timer

What type of lighting is it? Also, how frequently are you doing water changes, and how much per water change? Dosing any fertilizers?

Black Cousteau
Once a week 25% w/c as of last week since I became cycled. Before that I was doing the 50% w/c every other day until the water parameters were spot on.

My lighting is via the Asta 20 Planted

I am also dosing Seachem flourish today being the 2nd time since acquiring the plant and I did the first 1 week ago since instructions on bottle indicated once or twice per week just thought I would stick to the once a week starting off.

EbiAqua
Where did you buy the plants from? It may be possible it arrived with algae already on it.

Black Cousteau
Where did you buy the plants from? It may be possible it arrived with algae already on it.
I'm not ruling that out. I purchased it from the Neighborhood Fish Farm. Are there any algae eaters I can put with a Betta that would take care of this problem? What other methods can I take a to get rid of algae?

TexasDomer
You are the best at ridding it of algae, and preventing future algae from growing. There's no room for algae eating fish in this tank. Nerite snails may work, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to go on the leaves.

Here's some info:

Black Cousteau
You are the best at ridding it of algae, and preventing future algae from growing. There's no room for algae eating fish in this tank. Nerite snails may work, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to go on the leaves.

Here's some info:
Think I may get a tiger and I will use some prongs to rest him right on top of the plant

varmint
You could use a couple of Amano shrimps, they're pretty good on algae.

TexasDomer
Just watch to make sure the betta does attack them.

Black Cousteau
You could use a couple of Amano shrimps, they're pretty good on algae.
Will betta fish eat him? And can they escape from rimless tank?

varmint
Not likely. they're pretty quick. With the plants you have ...no problem.

TexasDomer
They can escape rimless tanks if there's no lid on them, even when water parameters are good. I lost 2 of my 4 Amanos within a few weeks of adding them to my 12 gal rimless.

Bettas may or may not harass Amanos. Depends on the personality of the betta.

Fluffy
Nerite snails work too

Lissy0805
Hi, I really need help identifying this and how to get rid of this.

3.5 gallon betta bowl run well for about 6months. I went on vacation and my friend took care of it. From one day to another she sent me this video.

I returned and rehomed my betta who seemed to do fine. I cleaned everything throughly and found the empty shell of my nerit snail. So I assumed it was because of an rotten snail. I threw out the gravel and filter sponges, scrubbed everything and let it dry for a day.
My friend wanted to get a betta and we started to set up the cleaned bowl. New substrate, a dirty sponge from my other community tank to give it a kick start, some new filter sponges and the crished coral and bio rings from before, plus the rinsed of rock. The day later it got right back cloudy and formed again this thick layer on the water surface.

I don't think its bacteria bloom the good kind. Can someone tell me what it is? Do I need to rehome this betta temporary and bleach the tank and filter and start with complete NEW filter material?

sinned4g63
What kind of substrate did you use? Looks like maybe it wasn't rinsed well enough in conjunction with the foam like stuff on the surface. How is it looking today, any clearer? I don't think a water change would hurt anything. I wouldn't bleach the tank or tear it down though, at least not yet. The filter should do it's job and clear things up.

Lissy0805
Not the substrate. I had thrown out the contaminated substrate (was gravel rocks) and used new sand (washed). Same sand I'm using in my other 2 tanks. I'm pretty sure it came from the filter. It got so bad within one day a water change didn't do much. I moved the betta temporary in a bowl and bleached the tank. Filter is in the trash. I'm getting a new one. Hopefully it won't come back.

sinned4g63
Not the substrate. I had thrown out the contaminated substrate (was gravel rocks) and used new sand (washed). Same sand I'm using in my other 2 tanks. I'm pretty sure it came from the filter. It got so bad within one day a water change didn't do much. I moved the betta temporary in a bowl and bleached the tank. Filter is in the trash. I'm getting a new one. Hopefully it won't come back.
I'm confused... so did you use gravel first then toss it in place of sand then had the issue? Because sand can cause the tank to get very cloudy, it took mine a couple of days to clear and turned the filter media black (the color of the sand) from all the floating particles it caught. Bleaching the tank is a tad extreme unless you've got stuff literally caked to the walls a razor wouldn't remove. Best make sure you rinse it very well, let it dry and rinse it again..

I really don't think the filter would have been the source as I've never see it cause that type of issue so long as it was also rinsed before use. Nothing in the media should cause that if it came from another tank.

Honestly it could have even just been the water.. This past weekend I did my usual cleaning and my 20g, which has always been crystal clear like the rest, was a little cloudy the day after the change. I typically add TLC bacteria to boost the BB after a change which I skipped this time. I did add some that night and by the time I woke up the next morning was back to crystal. Chances are if everything was rinsed and clean then your tank was starting some sort of cycle. Ammonia and Nitrite in excess can cause a bacteria bloom with a new tank and newly added fish. If this was the case it should have cleared up in a few days. Best of luck to you!

Lissy0805
I assume a reasonable cause was the rotting snail my friend didnt see. It created a very thick gel like layer on the surface as you can see in the water. My anubias leaves have almost completely melted within 2 days. After I cleaned everything out and put a new setup inside it came right back. Its not just cloudy water. It created a white layer on the surface that you could crakc open with the finger. That's not typical bacteria bloom in my eyes.

sinned4g63
I assume a reasonable cause was the rotting snail my friend didnt see. It created a very thick gel like layer on the surface as you can see in the water. My anubias leaves have almost completely melted within 2 days. After I cleaned everything out and put a new setup inside it came right back. Its not just cloudy water. It created a white layer on the surface that you could crakc open with the finger. That's not typical bacteria bloom in my eyes.
It could have caused an ammonia spike and thus the bacteria bloom but that severe I figured the fish would have been affected in some way. Reading your OP looks like you found the snail, removed it, then cleaned everything and ended up with cloudy water after? That wouldn't make much sense unless you only did a water change. Maybe I'm still a bit confused with the timeline, the video was while the snail was still in the tank before the cleaning correct?

If you're still getting cloudy water at this point then it's even less likely it's due to the snail that's already been removed.. I also highly doubt something like that would do that to the plants. Admittedly the surface film is a bit odd but I also don't see a lot of water movement from the filter and that is usually the #1 culprit. I tried an aquascape before I got into keeping fish and that tank did not have a filter thus no water movement. Putting anything into the tank essentially got hydrodipped in a thick layer of biofilm.

Tez
I don't think its bacteria bloom the good kind.
Lissy if you use kitchen roll, double it up and lay it across the top and when it starts to sink lightly skI'm it across and remove it, keep doing that until that film is removed as it will help for a starter.

Lissy0805
Lissy if you use kitchen roll, double it up and lay it across the top and when it starts to sink lightly skI'm it across and remove it, keep doing that until that film is removed as it will help for a starter.

Thanks I heard of that before. Will definitly try that. But it really seems that nobody has any idea What it exactly is. :/

Thank tank was running fine with its low moving filter for 6 months. Weather is started because of the snail being rotten or not, it was very persistent. I bought a new filter and hopefully it won't come back anymore.

Just need to seed the new filter in my other aquarium.

Tez
Thanks I heard of that before. Will definitly try that. But it really seems that nobody has any idea What it exactly is. :/
HI Lissy, was you able to do the kitchen towel? and it could be oil build up from your fish or food...I found this video but it's not thick like yours.

Lissy0805
I ended up cleaning the whole tank and throwing out the filter. It would always just return. I'll try setting it up new again tomorrow. I bought a new filter and had it run on my established tank and I also seeded the filter with material from my runnijg filter. Hopefully this should be good now. I'm still interrsted in what it was. So if anyone has any idea, let me know.

Tez
I ended up cleaning the whole tank and throwing out the filter. It would always just return. I'll try setting it up new again tomorrow. I bought a new filter and had it run on my established tank and I also seeded the filter with material from my runnijg filter. Hopefully this should be good now. I'm still interrsted in what it was. So if anyone has any idea, let me know.
HI Lissy, sorry to hear you had to start up fresh but fingers crossed it works out right for you next time around.

JimC22
HI Lissy,

By chance, did you test your water when all this was happening? If not, I suspect you would have seen very high ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

I returned and rehomed my betta who seemed to do fine. I cleaned everything throughly and found the empty shell of my nerit snail. So I assumed it was because of an rotten snail. I threw out the gravel and filter sponges, scrubbed everything and let it dry for a day.
My friend wanted to get a betta and we started to set up the cleaned bowl. New substrate, a dirty sponge from my other community tank to give it a kick start, some new filter sponges and the crished coral and bio rings from before, plus the rinsed of rock. The day later it got right back cloudy and formed again this thick layer on the water surface.

I don't think its bacteria bloom the good kind. Can someone tell me what it is? Do I need to rehome this betta temporary and bleach the tank and filter and start with complete NEW filter material?

The cloudy water looks like a bacterial bloom associated with a tank that may have kicked of a cycle. Your bio load went through the roof. Which would cause a big spike in ammonia/nitrites. Most likely brought on from the dead snail.

After you "cleaned everything out and put a new setup inside", I suspect you again had another cycle starting. This can be confirmed by testing the water parameters.

When you restart new again, don't be surprised if another cycle happens. Your water could get cloudy. If it does, don't panic, this is something that happens from time to time when a tank is cycling. Even with the new filter having been run on "an established tank", your tank will still try to grow BB and could kick off a mini-cycle. The seeded media will help speed up the process.

Hope it all goes well and quickly for you on the next round.

Lissy0805
Yes I do understand the cloudy water as bacteria growth. But the concerning part was the gel layer on the water surface. I didnt test the water, as I just worried about my betta and rehomed him as soon I got home. And then just cleaned everything. I should have tested the water.
On the second try it started to build again a weird layer on the water surface.
When I got this tank first and cycled it fishless it got cloudy of course. But I never had this nasty layer on the water surface. That's why there must have been something else developed I thing.
Its been running now with a brand new setup and brand new filter. Doing a fish cycle now and regularly water test and changes to keep ammonia low. No weird layer anymore.
The only leftover is my driftwood. I have wonderful peace with anubias and moss on it. But the wood must have been socked very well this nasty stuff in. It looks so faded white in color (no its not typical driftwood fungus) and all the anubias that I attach on it die within 2 days (leaves melt, roots take same color as the wood). I soaked and rinsed the wood a couple days in a bucket. But I guess I didnt get it all out. I guess I have to throw it away

JimC22
Yes I do understand the cloudy water as bacteria growth. But the concerning part was the gel layer on the water surface. I didnt test the water, as I just worried about my betta and rehomed him as soon I got home. And then just cleaned everything. I should have tested the water.
On the second try it started to build again a weird layer on the water surface.
When I got this tank first and cycled it fishless it got cloudy of course. But I never had this nasty layer on the water surface. That's why there must have been something else developed I thing.
Its been running now with a brand new setup and brand new filter. Doing a fish cycle now and regularly water test and changes to keep ammonia low. No weird layer anymore.
The only leftover is my driftwood. I have wonderful peace with anubias and moss on it. But the wood must have been socked very well this nasty stuff in. It looks so faded white in color (no its not typical driftwood fungus) and all the anubias that I attach on it die within 2 days (leaves melt, roots take same color as the wood). I soaked and rinsed the wood a couple days in a bucket. But I guess I didnt get it all out. I guess I have to throw it away

Gotcha,

Was the film(gel) rainbow colored or oily, also on the plants, rocks or objects, emitting an unusual odor, foamy or cloudy? If so, then it was a bacterial biofilm. This can happen when a fish or snail dies and is not removed immediately. It dead animal will release it's fats and oils. This most likely is what you saw and it was from your dead snail.

If this was it, then many of your actions you took were appropriate. Everything needed to be cleaned and sanitized. You fully change the water and sanitized the entire tank. You replaced the substrate, filter media, etc.

One other contributing cause is this happens to water surfaces that have little to no surface agitation or skimming.

Agree you may not be able to reuse the wood.:hungover:

Sounds like you are back on track - best of luck getting this going.

Briggs
Do you have anything breaking the surface of the water? A HOB, air driven filter, or airstone? It looks like biofilm to me, which is harmless if unsightly. It coats every surface in a healthy aquarium, and if the surface tension of the water isn't broken by anything it's just as happy to grow there. It's very common in betta tanks since they tend to me low-flow and not much will be disturbing the surface. It can limit some gas exchange and lower the oxygen in the water a little, but bettas have that handy labyrinth organ that lets them 'breathe' atmospheric oxygen so that's not a huge concern for them. You can clean it off with a paper towel every once and a while like someone mentioned before, or you could add a small airstone and that should fix it.

Lissy0805
Thanks Jim.

The gel was clear but on the second setup the start layer was oily. Its astonishing how such a tiny snail ( it was smaller than my fingernail) can create so much nastiness.

And yes it was a very slow moving filter, which was perfect for my betta as he is a runt with huge fins and weak pectoral fins, struggling in any flow.

The smell was definitly stronger than usual. I can still smell it on the wood. Do you think boiling could clean it of?? Havent tried that yet :/
Bleaching is problem not a good idea as it would be soaked with it and always leak some out afterwards?

JimC22
Thanks Jim.

The gel was clear but on the second setup the start layer was oily. Its astonishing how such a tiny snail ( it was smaller than my fingernail) can create so much nastiness.

And yes it was a very slow moving filter, which was perfect for my betta as he is a runt with huge fins and weak pectoral fins, struggling in any flow.

The smell was definitly stronger than usual. I can still smell it on the wood. Do you think boiling could clean it of?? Havent tried that yet :/
Bleaching is problem not a good idea as it would be soaked with it and always leak some out afterwards?

It's a small tank and it doesn't take much to have a big impact.

I know with bettas you don't want too much water movement, so that makes sense and for you it can't be helped. There are ways to remove the film as it develops.

I have used a very low mixed solution of bleach/water to soak some of my wood to kill of nasties that I had in my tank. I then rinsed it and soaked it in treated water for about a week to let everything leach out. I've had no issues since. May have just been lucky.

You could try doing a boil, can't hurt, that will leach out any tannins and kill off any nasty attached to the wood.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Top Bottom