Algae on sponge

LiamHartwick

Member
So I have a sponge on top of my filter’s spray bar to reduce flow and and noise, it’s recently had green algae on it because the light is close to it. I’ve tried scrubbing it off with a toothbrush in warm water but didn’t get far. I’m thinking if putting it in hot water but scared it will kill beneficial bacteria and still won’t come off. Any ideas?
 

Heron

Member
Is this sponge part of your filter media or is it just a diffuser. If it's not part of the filter I would try squeezing it in hot water. I have a sponge on a filter pickup tube in one of my tanks and I do this each week and I am always amazed how much algae comes out.
If this doesn't work you could use something like a weak bleach solution but be very very thourgh with rinsing it afterwards.
If you think this sponge is part of your biological filtration then all you can do is rinse in a bucket of tank water.
 
  • Thread Starter

LiamHartwick

Member
Heron said:
Is this sponge part of your filter media or is it just a diffuser. If it's not part of the filter I would try squeezing it in hot water. I have a sponge on a filter pickup tube in one of my tanks and I do this each week and I am always amazed how much algae comes out.
If this doesn't work you could use something like a weak bleach solution but be very very thourgh with rinsing it afterwards.
If you think this sponge is part of your biological filtration then all you can do is rinse in a bucket of tank water.
Thank you.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom