Algae on plants

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been concerned about the health of my plants recently. I thought parts of their leaves were turning brown and otherwise discoloring. Then I took a look a one of my Java Ferns from a different angle and noticed the brown spots have little hairs growing from them. I am now thinking my problem isn't lack of nutrients but algae competing with my plants.

As the tank is currently cycling I don't believe I could add any animals to help me deal with the algae other than the Bladder Snails that hitched a ride on on the plants... hopefully they help.
I read through: Algae problems and how to deal with them | Algae 188662 and I'll be seeing what I can do about my lights to help control the algae. Clipping all the affected leaves on some of the plants I'm pretty sure would kill them so is there anything else I could do to try and save them?

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my tiny little java ferns were growing some mulm and algae, I just gently rubbed the leaves clean between my fingertips with tank water. I thought they were dying or decaying... nope, they just had dark colored algae growing on them!

OP
Ebreus

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TheeLadyG said:
my tiny little java ferns were growing some mulm and algae, I just gently rubbed the leaves clean between my fingertips with tank water. I thought they were dying or decaying... nope, they just had dark colored algae growing on them!
Thanks, I try that.

New Threads