algae on plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Ryan123, Dec 29, 2012.

1. R

Ryan123 Valued Member Member

I have pages growing on my plants and it blocking the light to its leaves how do I kill the algae

sorry I men´t algea my kindle does automatic spell checks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
  2. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Look at why you have it. Imbalance of what? Ferts/light/carbon?

3. OP
    OP
    R

I am thinking it is the lights I have bought a new bulb a couple months ago and had an algae bloom it is clear now but some plant's still have algae

4. Mer-max

What kinna lights and what size tank is this?

5. junglefowl

junglefowl New Member Member

Can you rub them off the plants, if not then cut the leaves with lot of algae lollol

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  6. Mer-max

Some you can. I've also heard of ppl diluting bleach with water in a bucket and dripping the plant for a short period of time

7. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum.

Before we can offer advice on how to deal with algae we need some information. Specifically:

*What type of lighting? Standard fluorescent, CFL, T5HO, etc
    *Color spectrum of light. Should be printed on the bulb
    *How many hours a day are the lights on?

There are many forms of algae triggered by too much light, too little light, even the wrong form of light. For example actinic is specifically used to grow algae!

*What ferts, if any are dosed. How much? How often?
    *Any form of CO2 dosed? Liquid, DIY or injected?
    *How are the plants growing?

Ferts and CO2 are used to balance the lighting in a planted tank. When not kept in balance algae grows faster than the plants.

*Tank size? Height of tank?
    *What is stocked in it?
    *What does the algae look like?
    *What are you current tank parameters?

Without out these types of details it is virtually impossible to help. Each form of algae has its own set of triggers. Post a picture of it and we may be able to identify the form of algae and offer advice.

8. OP
    OP
    R

29 gallon, t8 17watt zoo med ultra Sun, I have 2 filters water is Crystal clear, fluorescent no timer on lights no ferts or co2 plant's growing slow I only have low light plants like water wisteria and anubius nana and mondo grass lemon bacopa apongenton bulbs, now I am going to buy a timer for my lights

9. c

That is very helpful to know. Thanks Ryan!

Low light tank with no ferts or CO2. Algae would be commonly caused by:

*lights being on too long. Set the timer for 9 hours as a starting point

*fluorescent tubes being too old. They should be replaced every 6-9 months, not waiting until they burn out

*Lack of water circulation. Many filter manufacturers greatly exaggerate the abilities of their products. A HOB filter should turn the water over 8-10 times per hour; a canister 4-6 times. Minimum. I've seen many filters that could barely turn the water over 2 times per hour, yet the manufacturer felt this was sufficient

BTW, Mondo Grass is not an aquatic plant. It should be removed from your tank before it pollutes it, if it hasn't already. The decomposition of this plant may be a factor with the algae issues.

What type of algae are you dealing with? Does it happen to be a brown dust or little tufts that look like fur on the edges of your plants? Or, is it something else?

10. OP
    OP
    R

I will remove the mondo grass and the algae is like the kind you described with the fur on the edges

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  11. c

That kind of algae is known as Black Beard Algae, or BBA. Once started it can be extremely difficult to remove.

There are a couple of options:

*Give the plants a bleach dip, but some of your plants don't do well with this. I killed my wisteria and almost lost my bacopa using bleach.

*Treat the tank.

This option would be as simple as purchasing a small bottle of Seachem Excel, and double dosing it for a couple of weeks. The carbon source would also be helpful to your plants for growth.

Another way to treat in the tank is to use hydrogen peroxide. This works quite well, but you have to be careful not to add too much! I use a syringe so I can measure it out (2 ml per gallon water). Then, dose it directly on the affected plants. This helps to concentrate the product, works with Excel too, on the algae. Both methods work, but requires daily dosing.

*Keep up on tank maintenance. Hold the parameters in check. This goes far as it is also your preventative

12. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Algae will grow on anubias at some point because anubias are slower growing than the algae. I've only had bba once and it was on a newly setup tank. I was told that amano shrimp would eat it, they didn't do very well with it. Luckily with anubias you can cut all the leaves off at the rhizome without any problems. In my case after my tank aged a few months I never saw bba again.

How long has your tank been up?

13. OP
    OP
    R

that's funny that is exactly the same plants in my tank but I rubbed some of algae off when I replanted my tank today. and cichlidmac it has been running for a year and a half now.

14. OP
    OP
    R

do you peroxide directly in the water because I keep gbrs they are sensitive

15. c

Dose carefully in the tank. Or remove plants to treat. Peroxide is one of the safest treatments. It breaks down in 24 hours into O2 and water.

16. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

On another note. Do you have any dead spots? Meaning any place the water doesn't circulate? A couple of years ago i had a problem with this algae but it was only where I didn't have good circulation.
    Carol

17. OP
    OP
    R

I don't think so but think I am going to remove the plant's and get new plants

18. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

What kind of plants are the ones with algae?
    If you don't figure out what is causing the algae the new plants will get algae on them also because the reason for the algae will still be there :)
    carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice