Algae on filter sponge

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay guys, I need info. Was doing weekly water changes today and found a bunch of algae growin on the filter sponge in my 5 gallon tank, it wasn't there last week. I've got 1 guppy and 1 java fern in this tank with a 10 watt flourescent bulb. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow to get a 5 watt bulb. Is this a problem or do I just need to clean better?

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hello! welcome to fishlore? sorry I haven't seen you around the forum!

im wondering about the lighting... you say it is 10w but your tank is a 5 gal minibow... 16w! That could be the problem. 16w is very high lighting for a small tank. 5 watt will be fine! But watch out for the fitting and make sure it is made specifically designed for aquarium use, otherwise you will have TONS more algae!

you are new to aquariums (like me!), so im also wondering about the tank. My 10 gallon was covered with algae in the first two months or so. Once your tank is fully cycled and your java fern is growing (liquid fertiliser?) your algae will dissapear!

In conclusion, not much you can do about it except buy an algae rid chemical... which I don't reccomend! So just wait it out!

you seem to be doing well with your tanks! Keep up the good work

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I second YallYall's statement about NOT adding any chemicals to destroy the algae. Not only do they destroy the algae but chances are you'll lose your cycle too and possibly even fish.

Ken

OP
C

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hello! welcome to fishlore? sorry I haven't seen you around the forum!

im wondering about the lighting... you say it is 10w but your tank is a 5 gal minibow... 16w! That could be the problem. 16w is very high lighting for a small tank. 5 watt will be fine! But watch out for the fitting and make sure it is made specifically designed for aquarium use, otherwise you will have TONS more algae!

you are new to aquariums (like me!), so im also wondering about the tank. My 10 gallon was covered with algae in the first two months or so. Once your tank is fully cycled and your java fern is growing (liquid fertiliser?) your algae will dissapear!

In conclusion, not much you can do about it except buy an algae rid chemical... which I don't reccomend! So just wait it out!

you seem to be doing well with your tanks! Keep up the good work
It's a 10w that I bought at walmart. It came with a 15 watt, but I was pretty dark in the tank. The tank has been cycled for close to 2 months now(finally!), so I hope the algae will back off some. I looked for a 5 watt bulb today, but couldn't find one. I'll stick with the 10 watt and maybe add some more plants. I really like the marimo balls, so I might try one of those and maybe some duckweed. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom