Algae on Anubias

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My anubias has a fair bit of algae growing on its leaves, I'll see if i can get a pic to identify it.
Ansy suggestions to get it off considering i have two bristlenoses and have the lights on for 11-12hours a day

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slow-growing plants like Anubias tend to attract algae...I know Otos like to eat algae off plants...anyway someone told me you can rub off algae with your fingers...try it and tell me if is works.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This algae wont come off when I rub it, Ive tried many times. I had sifferent algae which i used to be able to rub off but this stuff wont. I'll see if i can get some shade over the anubias to cut down the light on it. That should work should't it?

Wonder if i can get some floating plants........

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am 1000% sure its algae! Iam gonna move it to a shady position under the vallis

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Moving them to a shadier position will help.
As will cutting back your light hours to 9-10.

Dino

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cheers Dino, the algae is spreading to my other plants as well, so I'll cut back and maybe remove the affected leaves.

MaryPa

Reaction score
If it`s beard algae, growing on the edges of the leaves ( sorta dark blackish looking ) check for high n phosphates. High Phosphates will cause BBA to grow fast on anubias. I picked off the affected leaves and added some Phos-zorb to the filter and Flourish Excel to the tank. This is the only cure I could find for my plants. I even had it growing on my filter intake and the back glass of my tank.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There is definately some of this algae, but I have moved it to a shadier position and I will soon get some siamese algae eaters to eat that algae as ive heard they eat that algae according to a few sources including plant geek

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well it seems the algae is really taking hold and I may have to use some algae killer, as its spread to other plants and even with two bristlenoses and two siamese algae eaters, and with lights on less hours about 3 different algae are growing.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
HAHA I think I ve beaten it, I decided to cut off all the affected leaves, which has left it with three leaves, and I boiled the affected logs and it seems to have killed it. Its turned red and looks dead, so yeah. I'll get some pics of my tank up soooooooon............ When this plant and another one starts growing nicely I'll grab a pic and stick up. The smaller tank still neeeds a bit of work though so that'll come later.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom