Algae not going away even after a long time

PongLee

i have a 29 gal tank with 9 black skirt tetras and a powder blue gourami and some leftover fry that matured from my platys. All my parameters are near perfect and a ph of around 7.8-8. I’ve had the tank for around 8 months and the water parameters have been completely stable since then.
The only problem is the absurd amounts of algae growing. It’s annoying. I have a good amount of plants i’d say, so why is the algae still here. The light is on 7 hours a day but is this still too much?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 23

Mudminnow

All my parameters are near perfect
In my experience, when algae like that goes nuts, it is often related to ammonia (maybe from tap, too small a filter, or over feeding). If this is the case, it can be a little tricky to detect the problem, because the algae will eat the available ammonia causing it not to show up in a water test.
and a ph of around 7.8-8.
Your vallisnerias are fine with hard water, so no worries there.
I’ve had the tank for around 8 months and the water parameters have been completely stable since then.
The only problem is the absurd amounts of algae growing. It's annoying.
Stability is good, but something isn't right.
I have a good amount of plants i’d say, so why is the algae still here.
I would consider your tank lightly planted to be honest. More plants would likely help. As I said above, my guess is the presence of ammonia may be causing your issues. But, whatever it is, algae problems are typically caused by too much or too little of something in your tank.
The light is on 7 hours a day but is this still too much?

This depends, to a point, on your lighting intensity, but 7 hours of lighting is not typically unreasonable. You could try 6 and see if that makes a difference. I suspect there's something else going on though.

BlackOsprey

It's hard to get algae to completely go away once it's established. But you cant try these things.
1) More plants in general. Your tank's actually pretty lightly planted, a medium-to-heavy amount of plants help drain excess nutrients from the water.

2) Blackouts or dimming your lights. Keeping the lights off for 24-48 hrs, and then lowering the intensity of the light for a few weeks by putting a paper towel between the lid and the light can help starve out algae. Most plants can handle this better than algae.

3) Add floating plants. They both shade the tank below and slurp up nutrients like a sponge. I'd recommend larger species like Red Root Floater, water spangle, or frogbit. As oppposed to duckweed, which grows stupid fast and is so tiny that it gets everywhere and is impossible to fully remove.

PongLee

It's hard to get algae to completely go away once it's established. But you cant try these things.
1) More plants in general. Your tank's actually pretty lightly planted, a medium-to-heavy amount of plants help drain excess nutrients from the water.

2) Blackouts or dimming your lights. Keeping the lights off for 24-48 hrs, and then lowering the intensity of the light for a few weeks by putting a paper towel between the lid and the light can help starve out algae. Most plants can handle this better than algae.

3) Add floating plants. They both shade the tank below and slurp up nutrients like a sponge. I'd recommend larger species like Red Root Floater, water spangle, or frogbit. As oppposed to duckweed, which grows stupid fast and is so tiny that it gets everywhere and is impossible to fully remove.
I had red root floaters for about 2 months in the beginning and they were able to establish themselves really well. Even then, algae was found completely surrounding the roots of them about 2 months in and i removed them. I assume it must be because i’m over feeding them. Even when i decide to feed my fish once every 2 days or so, the algae is persistent but maybe i’m feeding more food than normally when i do feed. i’ll try blackouts and less feedings and see how that goes for a couple of weeks
I had red root floaters for about 2 months in the beginning and they were able to establish themselves really well. Even then, algae was found completely surrounding the roots of them about 2 months in and i removed them. I assume it must be because i’m over feeding them. Even when i decide to feed my fish once every 2 days or so, the algae is persistent but maybe i’m feeding more food than normally when i do feed. i’ll try blackouts and less feedings and see how that goes for a couple of weeks
the pic was also taken a few weeks after a big trim, but the jungle val used to be everywhere and making a mat on the top. even then, a large amount of algae was present. PS, i used to have algae on glass, but it hasn’t come back after i removed it a month ago.

FishDin

How long do you keep the lights on? 6 hrs should be plenty.

Floating plants, as mentioned, as well as emergent plants will consume many more nutrients than submerged plants.

leftswerve

I would look at the feeding part of this equation, but that also goes with a build up of excess nutrients. More and more often partial water changes will help with that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishSmart
Replies
Views
lrjv04
Replies
Views
Celestialpearl
Replies
Views