Algae Mystery (can you figure it out?)

Coolbeans5
HI everyone!
Here I am again looking for some help. So I have a 5 gallon Betta tank that is covered in Algae. Nothing I do is working to get rid of it. I am okay with some as it is natural, but it's pretty bad. I don't have green water as of yet, I have been doing water changes every couple day and cleaning the decor. Now here is where it gets weird. I have a second 5 gallon, it was set up a couple days after the one with algae. Same heaters, same filters, same lighting, same breed of fish, and same plants. (planted tank btw). I have used the same chemicals, and plant food, which is flourish. They have the same cleaning schedule, and plant maintence schedule. Overall these tanks are basically 100% the same except for the fish. They are both fed Betta pellets, and there is never left over food. They both have minimal light exposure from a window, in fact the one with no algae has more direct light from the window. So, I am stumped!! So if anyone of you know what could be causing this, I would appreciate it, or any ideas on how to combat this issue.

They were both set up 3 months ago with the seeded media.
Water parameters are flawless, as I do weekly water changes like clock work.
The only significant thing I have noticed is the tank with algae has more nitrates in it. I'm assuming this may be the cause, but the water changes should have cleared this up.
Thanks!
Megan

el337
How long do you keep the tank lights on?

Peacefantasy
And what kind of fish is in the second 5g?
Are they one the same light schedule as well?

Coolbeans5
Yes, they have the same schedule, and both are Bettas. My light schedule is when I wake up and go to bed. It is fairly consistent.

Silister Trench
The minimal light from your window as well as an extended photoperiod would be your problem. Say you do turn it on when you wake up bright an early and go to bed late. 12-16 hour lights on is way too much. Get a $5 automatic timer for your lights and set it for 8hrs. Move it away from the window. Should be problem solved in 2 - 4weeks but marked improvement after 1-2.

Edit: now that's if it's green algae. I'm going to assume the algae is either on the glass or hair like algae all over.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vinh
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
Fishdad85
  • Question
Replies