Algae..more than one kind?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trinket, Apr 5, 2010.

1. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

My tank is newly cycled (I think it finished cycling a bit over a month ago). I had brown algae but that seems to be gone now.

Now I have green stuff and I can't really tell what kind it is. Some of it is on the glass and some on the tops of my anubias leaves and on the tops of my rocks. The stuff on the glass looks kind dust algae (but it's slightly fuzzy) and the stuff on the plant/rocks looks more like fuzz algae to me, I'm not sure though. Whatever is on the glass is really hard to scrub off. Nothing seems to come off in "sheets" like blue green algae, thankfully.

Is this a normal thing in new tanks, like the brown algae? I'll be cutting down on light time and will keep with my current water change schedule (30% every wednesday, I scrub the algae off most surfaces and rinse out my filter in tank water). Does this sound okay or do I need to do more or less tank cleanings?

Thanks guys.

here are some pictures, the stuff on the plant/rocks is hard to see.

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

All tanks have some algae, we just try to keep it under control. As Ken said it makes the tank look natural. BTW your tank looks nice :;hi2

4. OP
    OP
    trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the links!

Hmm algae as a background..that's a good idea. If only it would just stay on the back, hah.

Thank you, Goldwing_Don. I'll need to take some update pictures soon because my hornwort is growing in fast!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice