Algae issues.

• Thread starter Sarah1230ox
  • Start date

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Hey so as the title says...the tank my fish had before had no issue at all. Stayed lovey, the tank i upgraded too, 10 months on the gravel has algae the decorations are covered in algae it looks natural but not pretty imo. The only thing different is in the old tank i had an air stone? I do two water changes a week, my ammonia is 0 my nitrite is 0 and my nitrate about 10/20 Could the airstone of really made a difference?! Im upgrading again this friday (yay for growing goldfish haha) and want my new tank to stay nice! Ive brought filter media which is meant to.help. aswell as a powerful external to replace my internal filters... first pics is my old tank how it looked and my current one now. Any help please?! Thank you!

IMG_20190826_222446.jpg
IMG_20190501_001718_881.jpg
IMG_20200805_174231.jpg
IMG_20200805_174653.jpg

Best Answer - View CosmicFish's answer

CosmicFish

Yay for growing goldfish! Haha.
So first off, algae is normal in any aquarium, in fact, you’ll never see a mature tank without a little bit of algae.
I’ve read that some algae don’t like much water current but I doubt the air stone will make the day/night difference.

many algae issues are caused by an imbalance in your tank. So things like too much light (whether artificial or from a nearby window) can be a one-way ticket to algae town. How long are your tank lights on for?
I know some algae love things like high nitrates or so. Your tank seems decent on water parameters though. You can look into a UV sterilizer for your tank too, that could help though I know they can be a bit pricey sometimes.

There are tons of information online about algae and algae control on the specific type of algae that is plaguing your tanks, so I highly recommend looking into that!

barracooter

+1 to cosmicFIsh's response. Algae is caused by an imbalance of nutrients and lighting. If you have high light and Nitrogen, but low phosphates and potassium, you'll grow algae. ****, if you have high lights and low everything else, you'll grow algae. You need to find the balance between the three macronutrients (N, P, and K) and lighting that your plants and tank need. If you can find out what specific type of algae you have, it'll be easier to find out which nutrient is out of check.

If you're plants are relatively healthy, you could use a blackout to try to kill off some of the algae. Algae reacts worse to lack of light than plants do, so keeping the lights off for a day or two will hurt the algae more than the plants, and result in the algae dying off and the plants just needing to recover. Nonetheless, if you don't change the water parameters, the algae will grow back, so a blackout isn't a permanent solution, but will help kill off the algae you currently have.

IME algae grows best when you have too many nitrates and not enough K and P, but tbh any imbalance amongst the three can lead to algae growth. If you aren't dosing K or P, I would assume either your N is too high or you're providing too much light. Not all plants require P and K ferts, all tanks will get algae with too much lighting compared to the ferts. My first move would be to manually remove the algae and lessen the light (in intensity or duration) and see if that helps stunt the algal growth.

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
My nitrates are never above 20 and i thought for goldfish thats low and good? So i don't think thats an issue. Plus the other tank.had the same if not higher and was fine :(. My lights are on for around 8 hours a day? I have no live plants now they made no difference!?

Top Bottom