Algae Issues

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Mealor, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MealorValued MemberMember

I'm hoping I can find an expert
    I have been fighting a battle with Algae note or less since I started.
    When I first set up my 240 litre tank it was in direct sunlight I Jo bad idea. I moved it after a few months but then I ended up with really bad hair Algae and the dreaded black Algae. So I took out the black Algae well everything with it on that's gone. I have now moved the tank to a new house. Only a very small preposition of the tank gets sunlight for a very short time. I have my lights on for 6 hours a day on a timer. They are the led ones I had with the tank (juwel rio 240) I have ordered some blue lights however. My issue since I have moved the tabk is its been 2 weeks and my water and stones are slowly yellowing well yellowy green and it's Algae I'm scrubbing it off the glass. But it keeps coming back with vengeance. I do not have this problem with my smaller tank its crystal clear. Could me having white stones and them slightly going greenish be making the water look worse than it is? Thank you for any help

2. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

you could always use a UV sterilizer, but honestly, algae isn't bad for the fish instead it's good for them but if you don't like it so much you could block the sunlight or get a UV sterilizer. The white stones are probably making the algae look worse.

3. GoldfishfreakValued MemberMember

My tank has white stones and before I got a pleco it looked bad. Especially with the leds. IME the light is reflected off the whitish green and makes the water look bad. I also know that both my tanks have the same lights and one had black stones and one had white. The black one looks darker always. I personally think the gravel has alot to do with the brightness and such. Do you have any kind of algae eater? If not I would suggest you get one it would help make your job easier. My bristlenose pleco does a great job! Snails also do a less thorough job but still good if you like the look of some algae.

4. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Shoot I didn't think of getting fish haha. Snails would probably be better though because some fish have territorial issues and then more fish wouldn't be an option.

5. GoldfishfreakValued MemberMember

I would recommend nerite snails because they won't breed and they do a good job.

Hope it works out!