Algae Issue..

1. C

Cheyenne Vickers New Member Member

Hello guys, new member here.
    I've had fish for a while. I have 3 bettas and 2 tetra fish. I have 2 fish in a 10 gallon tank and I used to have sunlight as light for the tank. Well algae started growing so I got a led light for them. Well the algae is still growing and I have rinsed the tank, the rocks, the decorations and it still keeps coming back. How can I get rid of this algae? Should I buy new decorations? Is there a certain soap I can buy? None of my other tanks have this issue but they weren't exposed to sunlight.
    Is the algae kind of like something that stays once it appears?
    I don't over feed them because I know that could contribute to it.
    Please help.
    Thank you♡

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Well you have stocking problems but I don't discuss them unless you want me to. Second is there ever any left over food? Because left over food plus sunlight equals algae. You can also look at getting some snails to help you keep the algae under control.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Please tell me more about stocking problems. And not really, I usually feed the two fish about 5 pellets and both eat all of them. Or I sprinkle very little flakes. I don't let sunlight hit the tank anymore because I wanted the algae to either stop or slow down. I had a snail in the tank but it just kind of sat and slithered around very little. It died though:/

If I am doing something wrong or it sounds like I am, please tell me!

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Have a couple questions. Do you have a filter? Do you test your water? Do you use a water conditioner? Which two fish are in the ten gallon? Have you tried covering the tank to “black” it out for a few days to a week?

5. OP
    OP
    C

Yes I have a filter. A quiet pro 10 gal filter. I think that's the name of it. I have a male betta and some type of tetra with it. I test my water once in a while. It was at normal levels when it tested it last. I do use a water conditioner. And no I haven't, I never thought to do that or read about that.

6. Gypsy13

If it’s not heavily planted, darkening the tank will upset the algae. Physically remove what you can, then turn the led off. Then block light coming into the tank from other sources. Just keep up with the water changes. You may want to do every other day 25%. And use your vacuum to clean around where the worst of the algae grows. Light started it, dark can destroy it.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you so much!

8. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

What type of algae is it.

9. Gypsy13

Sunloveing algae. Maybe a pic would help?

10. OP
    OP
    C

It's thin and grows on everything. I try to get large pieces with a small net but the rest of the small stuff settles on the bottom.

Attached Files:

11. Gypsy13

Are you sure it’s algae and not something like Cyanobacteria?

12. OP
    OP
    C

I don't believe so. I looked at photos of it and I didn't see anything that looked like it.

13. Gypsy13

Then I’d try starving it of light. See what happens. :)

14. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

How often do you do a water change and how much every time.